Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY hunters (I have a question for you)

Old 12-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default NY hunters (I have a question for you)

Hey there...

I just got back home to Virginia yesterday afternoon and had a great time in upstate NY seeing all the relatives. My brother-in-law introduced me to a bunch of buddies of his and we all talked about hunting. Also, my wife's younger brother and his friends were talking to me about hunting.

I am curious about coming up next season and going hunting on my brother-in-law's farm and also looking into the DEC state lands around NY. I didn't want to get in on the "NYDEC is a joke" thread, because it looks like it is turning into a flame war.

Here are some facts if you are curious:

Present home: Richmond, VA
Originally from: LaGrangeville, NY (Dutchess Co. - right near Poughkeepsie).
Family had a summer cottage: Lake Ozonia (St. Regis Falls area, bordering Franklin Co. and St. Lawrence Co. - Northern Adirondacks, back in the 70's).
Immediate family still in NY: Hyde Park, NY... Millbrook, NY... (still Dutchess Co.) and my oldest sister/bro-in-law/elderly mom just bought a 125 acre farm in Brookfield, NY in Madison Co. south of Utica).
Relatives, cousins, aunts/uncles, etc: Auburn, NY... Weedsport, NY... Port Byron, NY... Rochester, NY... and a few other places I can't remember.
Wife/wife's familyis from: West Seneca, NY (Erie Co. -suburb of Buffalo)

Anyway, I had such a great time up in upstate NY this past week visiting relatives. We were in Buffalo with my wife's family, and then in Brookfield at my sister's big farm. It is really beautiful up there! Lots and lots and lots of snow, which is a far cry from what we get here in Richmond, VA!

You guys up in NY can hunt on Sundays, which is great. Here in VA we still have that stupid, colonial "blue law" thing, like a few other states and it is utterly ridiculous! [:@]

If I went hunting up near my sister/bro-in-law's big farm, the state DEC land area thing is labelled"7M" whatever that means. Do any of you NY hunters hunt around that area?

I am not looking to get into a flame war, but just want solid advice for coming up to hunt NY for a change of pace next season.

Thank you!

Butch A.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: NY hunters (I have a question for you)

I dont live in NY but I hunt up there during the firearms season. NYDEC cuts the state up into WMU's - wildlife management units in order to better regulate the herd in different areas. I hunt in 5P on the VT border. If you want to apply for a doe permit you apply for the area you'll be hunting in. Some get alot & some almost none. Other than for doe tags the numbers dont affect you.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

ButchA-I live just south of 7M,which takes in most of chenango county.Lots of deer in 7M,and lots of state land.The DEC in it's infinate wisdom,has placed designated 7M as bucks only for the last 2 years.2 years ago the only doe permits issued were for land owners(over 50 acres/single parcel), and disabled Vets.This year no permits were issued.Their explanation was that they know there is an abundance of deer on pivate land,but low populations on state land.So they issued no permits,to protect the deer that don't exhist,since most hunting pressure is on state land.Don't get me wrong it is a great area if you want to shoot a good buck,a lot ofhunters are now hunting other areas.

Charlie
Old 12-24-2005, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Butch,

I grew up and currently still hunt in Rhinebeck. Give me a shout if you plan on being in the area next season.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

what would you like to know? i live in aubrurn and hunt much of cayuga county..nonpublic lands
what do you hunt for etc
Old 12-24-2005, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh... As seen in my signature, I have a little "one of each" kind of philosophy towards firearms. I have the old Marlin 30-30, but will (hopefully soon) be getting my hands on a lefty version .270 bolt action rifle.

I hunt deer mostly. I also like turkey hunting when I can get out in the spring. Rabbits, squirrels, etc... are also in my sights as far as small game is concerned.

I don't know how NY State manageshunting versus how they do it here in Virginia. Here in VA they run hound dogs (which I don't particularly care for, but that's another subject... ) but only east of the Blue Ridge Mtns. Public lands around here get unbelieveably crowded on Saturdays to where itgets almost SCARY!

I guess I am just wondering what you all think of hunting in NY State. Is it worth the $125 out-of-state license, tags, etc...etc...
Old 12-24-2005, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

7M produces some big deer from what I have seen. I hunted Cortland County from time to time. It is a shotgun,pistol,bow or muzzlelaoder zone. NO rifles. Well as far as for cortland county. The other ones I don't know about. there are a ton of does but you can only shoot bucks. Also where I hunted very rough terrain. Alot of hills. Hope this helps.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes Butch,

If you can find access to land in Millbrook in you would definetely be set..

I took this deer this fall about 15 miles from Millbrook...

Old 12-25-2005, 01:25 AM

Congrats on the buck! Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

i hunt ny state land every year...especially up north some big deer are produced. i've seen 9 this year within 2 days. If you have a good feeling bout the area and u get a chance to visit, why not hunt the land? happy hunting

Quick Reply: NY hunters (I have a question for you)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.