Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Blaze Orange Bill

Old 01-18-2006, 07:14 AM

Default RE: NY Blaze Orange Bill

I had a doe run under me in the tree stand this year she didn't know I was there, I wear wall orange camo coveralls and coat with a solid orange knit hat. I guess the only thing I would say in difference to the bill is, people should be able to make their own choices as with any law which restricts your right to govern your OWN safety as an adult they should not interfere.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

PLEASE READ: Here's a True story for you. I was 18yrs old, my first ever Southern Tier opening day of shotgun. My partners told me I could shoot any deer that came along. I'm sitting on a huge side hill above a logging trail. Below the logging trail was pretty thick with briars,and dropped off deeply just below the trail.It was a cold rainy day. But I was excited to see a deer. After several hrs of sitting I thought I heard a branch break. It got my attention. Suddenly I see some brown coming up through the briars. I adjust myself, and my gun into that direction. I was certain it was a deer coming up the hill to the log trail. I couldn't quite make it out yet. But I was pumped & excited. As it neared I brought my gun up, and got ready for a shot. The brown object came closer, and was only a few feet from the log trail. I was going to shoot soon as the deer got onto the log trail. As it neared I almost decided to shoot then out of excitement, but I held off. Suddenly the object seemed a little odd, and a man stands up as he got onto the log trail.This idiot was wearing full brown carharts, and he was crawling through the brush. I quickly lowered my gun, and yelled at him I ALMOST SHOT YOU!!
After that I was shaking like a leaf, I just nearly shot another hunter. I almost pulled that trigger. I was mad becasue this guy didn't have a stitch of orange on, and was wearing brown. I couldn't believe my 1st time out I almost killed a guy.
Now let me ask all of you, how many times have you come across hunters wearing brown, white, green, clothing. Not to mention todays camo patterns having dark brown colors in them. Advantage, Brown HD, Seclusion, Mossy Oak. Go ahead flip though a hunting catalog, and notice the brown in the very camo your wearing! Now picture yourself being that hunter walking the woods wearing it, perhaps stalking a deer, on a track, coming up a hill. Your concentrating on that animal for the kill. Perhaps another hunter in camo is sitting ahead of you. A young inexperienced kid, his first time in the woods!WILL HE PULL THAT TRIGGER?
Pass the law its only going to save lives. No deer is worth being shot for, or even put at that kind of risk.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was certain it was a deer coming up the hill to the log trail. I couldn't quite make it out yet. But I was pumped & excited. As it neared I brought my gun up, and got ready for a shot.
...I just nearly shot another hunter. I almost pulled that trigger.
You were "certain it was a deer" and "nearly shot another hunter" even though you "couldn't quite make it out yet". You my friend are a dangerous individual and shouldn't be carying a firearm.ABSOLUTELY DO NOTpoint a firearm in the direction of anything much less something that is moving and presumably alive unless you know for surewhat it is. Any hunter safety course will even stress how important it is not to use a scope on a gun for the purpose of identifying your target. What you are telling us all is that even if a bo law passes somebody like you is apt to shoot somebody just out for a walk in the woods that isn't even hunting. Sad. I highly recommend you re-take the hunter safety course!
Old 01-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

What Sylvan said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-19-2006, 12:51 PM

Everyone makes a mistake, you fortunately did not make the biggest. Rule number 1 BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET. This person wearing brown while not real smart should not be the cause of his death or injury. We as hunters have an obligation to ourselves as a group to follow the rules of hunting or the antis will win the fight. If every hunter followed the rules there would be NO NEED for Blaze orange gear.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BigJohn H

Everyone makes a mistake, you fortunately did not make the biggest. Rule number 1 BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET. This person wearing brown while not real smart should not be the cause of his death or injury. We as hunters have an obligation to ourselves as a group to follow the rules of hunting or the antis will win the fight. If every hunter followed the rules there would be NO NEED for Blaze orange gear.

Common sense would help also.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya know I told you guys a story, hoping a certain point would come across your shallow minds. But its obvious to me too many on this forum look to criticize everyone's postings over trying to understand the point. So let me lay it out a little more clearer. If I had a crayon right now I'd use for you.
The whole friggen point was that this very situation can, and does occur in our deer woods. For some reason several of you are way too concerned about whether a deer can see orange over your very own safety. Yes the guy in Brown was kinda dumb for wearing brown carharts. But I wonder when he put those on if his same thoughts were much like many here. I'm not wearing that darn orange, becasue deer can see me, or Its my right not to wear orange I can wear whatever I dam well please.
Some others even want to go as far as to bring the anti's & PETA into this Bill. Well let me see, I'm sure every anti hunter reading this post is thinking these fools are actually more concerned about deer seeing them over their own safety. Or heywhat about everytime a hunter accident occurs to someone wearing camoflage it feeds their fire. Regardless I could careless what the Anti's think, becasue a preacher & a great town citizen could decide to pick up his gun, and go out hunting 1 day out of the year, and they'd label him a villian for doing it.
The whole point of this is about the safety of you, me, and every hunter out in the darn woods. Some mention taking off their camo in treestands, or changing the bill so don't have to wear it 10-20ft up. Does that take you out of every line of fire in the woods? Ever heard of a ricochet?? How many times have you parked your butt, and looked around at daylight to count the orange for hunters around you? You might even think hey I counted this many hunters, I saw them all in orange. But do you actually know how many were in the woods all together, counting the camo'd guys? Can everyone here say that there isn't a camo'd hunter behind that bush, tree top 100yards away? Have any of you ever decided to still hunt, stalk, and walked upon a guy in full camo nestled down in a small hollow, or behind a tree stump? Does everyone here honestly know what kind of hunters are in your area.A guy whose suppose to wear glasses, but takes them off becasue they fog up while wearing his mask so he uses his scope, the father taking his son into the woods for the first time. Or the 18yr old hunter in the story above, just looking to bring up his gun, and shoot that brown moving object becasue he knows its a deer. DO YOU KNOW I WON"T BE IN YOUR WOODS!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-19-2006, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok I made my point in the previous post. But honestly I feel too many of you guys are missing the point this bill is strictly about safety, andfor our own good. Too many excuses are being made here about why they shouldn't have to wear a little orange. I mean come on give me a break alreadly. Not 1 person here can't say they hate seeing orange on other hunters while hunting, or that their choice to wear camo doesn't place themselves at a higher risk. Ya gotta be totally ignorant if you don't!
Oh, and just to set your minds at ease, and maybe put your foot in your mouths. That 18yr old hunter is now 41yrs old. He had very minimal hunter safety 23yrs ago. That day taught me a very valuable lesson, and I remember it like it was yesterday. Nowadays I work in law enforcement, and train with weapons several times a year. Thats why I mentioned being in the line of fire. If your in the direction of a gunshot, whether on the ground, or 20 ft up in a tree. Your in the line of fire, and trust me Ricochets happen. I've seen plenty of them on the firing range.
So please guys use your heads here. ThisBill is directed towards safety its a win win for all of us. No one in law enforcement likes to notify family members of a hunting accident or death. Plus noone that causes the accident wants to be in those shoes. The charges, lawsuits, and living out a life knowing you shot someone is no picinic. Pass the law, and be safer. The orange won't kill ya!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-19-2006, 11:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya know I told you guys a story, hoping a certain point would come across your shallow minds.
What stood out in your story far more than anything else had NOTHING to do with blaze orange. It was thatYOU VIOLATED AFUNDAMENTAL RULE OF FIREARM SAFETY.Did you think we wouldn't notice or were you just oblivious? Now you have the audacity to call us shallow minded! You sound like a 10 year old who has just been scolded and then resorts to name calling.

Ok I made my point in the previous post. But honestly I feel too many of you guys are missing the point this bill is strictly about safety, andfor our own good. Too many excuses are being made here about why they shouldn't have to wear a little orange. I mean come on give me a break alreadly. Not 1 person here can't say they hate seeing orange on other hunters while hunting, or that their choice to wear camo doesn't place themselves at a higher risk. Ya gotta be totally ignorant if you don't!
So now we are ignorant if we don't see it your way? The point that seems to illude you is that no one is arguing that blaze orange isn't a good idea. The question is should it be law. I for one am simply tired of the self righteous nanny state attitude that people like you spew out. We can't have a system that passes a law to enforce every good common sense idea. It has to stop. As far as I know, there is no law prohibiting the wearing of blaze orange so if you want to wear it then wear it. Set an example and encourage others to wear it. That's how people in a free society should do things. Not pass laws regulating every little aspect of our life. Can you imagine the reaction of the founders if they were told that one day the government would pass laws regulating what someone must wear when they go hunting?

Look, literally hundreds of thousands of hunters wear bo. I didn't see a hunter this year who wasn't wearing it. And this all came about without any law requireing it. How come? Do you think just maybe, the people of NY state are smart enough to make their own decision regarding this matter?
Old 01-20-2006, 04:28 AM
Typical Buck

you spoke of ricohet (sp ?) anyway you could be in an orange spotlight and have no control as to where that bullet wil go !no matter what your story says YOU still missed the point BE ABSOLUTELY SURE OF YOUR TARGET BEFORE YOU RAISE YOUR GUN yes everybody makes mistakes and I am glad you didn't make a bigger mistake
I also took hunter safety many years ago but they did teach be sure of your target in fact that was drilled into my head long before I ever took hunter safety

Quick Reply: NY Blaze Orange Bill

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.