Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Blaze Orange Bill

Old 12-19-2005, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY Blaze Orange Bill

Pardon my intrusion, but wouldn't that take a new law?
Quite obviously no, merely change the existing law from 16 to whatever age thesouce considers appropriate for repsonsible hunting with firearms.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why don't you stop being a problem and become a solution!!!! SPONSOR YOUTH HUNTS!!!! Make it your duty to get the youth involved at a young age so when it is time to let them hunt on their own, you can say that you taught them right.
I was a NY State hunter safety instructor for many years. I have donated COUNTLESS hours of my time for the purpose of educating young people to be safe hunters. I have spent many additional hours teaching my daughter and 3 nephews (whose father doesn't hunt) as well. I strongly support wearing BO but don't think it should be a law. If you think I'm a "problem" you have some serious issues.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: duda

i think if your shot its not your fault even if your not wearing BO. Unless your wearing a deer costume that is. you should ALWAYS be able to tell what your target is.
simple fact is, it is a lot easier to see someone 200 yards away that has blaze orange on than it is if he has regular camo on. so say a guy is 200 yards out across a field standin next to a tree and has camo on - you are not going to be able to pick him out easily or at all. if he has blaze on, you can spot him relatively easily. so if that person is in your extended line of fire, things are much safer. I know, you need to know what is beyond your target, but you can't fault someone that can't see you.

What is the big deal about having to where a blaze orange hat or vest (it will cost you $15 for a vest at Cabelas). I'd much rather have someone see me easily than not. I don't buy the - "Big Brother" tellin me what to do -BS. Sometime the govt. actually is trying to help the public. Get over it, be safe, hunt hard.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

What is the big deal about having to where a blaze orange hat or vest (it will cost you $15 for a vest at Cabelas). I'd much rather have someone see me easily than not. I don't buy the - "Big Brother" tellin me what to do -BS. Sometime the govt. actually is trying to help the public. Get over it, be safe, hunt hard.
The issue for me is a larger one and quite probably a hunting forum just isn't the place to get into it in any detail. But fundamentally I don't belive itis our governments role to weigh in on such matters even if it's motive is altruistic. I'm a firm believer in "government governs best when it governs least" and although any single law like this may not be particularly harmful (not a "big deal" as you say) I view each new regulation as a growing cancer that ultimately will result in a Soviet type government regulated society. I believe what Ronald Regan said. "Government isn't the solution to our problems, government IS the problem".

BTW, I hope you realize that I strongly support the wearing of BO. I agree that it is safer, however I still oppose a law requiring it. Like I said before, just because something is a good idea, doesn't mean we need a law to enforce it.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

point taken
Old 12-19-2005, 01:25 PM

ORIGINAL: doughboysigep

simple fact is, it is a lot easier to see someone 200 yards away that has blaze orange on than it is if he has regular camo on. so say a guy is 200 yards out across a field standin next to a tree and has camo on - you are not going to be able to pick him out easily or at all. if he has blaze on, you can spot him relatively easily. so if that person is in your extended line of fire, things are much safer. I know, you need to know what is beyond your target, but you can't fault someone that can't see you.

The big deal is simple, people are smart enough to decide whether they will be hunting in conditions where BO should be worn. Like I said I oppose this bill and if a BO was going to be implemented one way or the other, well I said what wording I would have to settle for.

I agree with Sylvan in the fact that we don't need someone else telling us something that is common sense, except Sylvan said it with some additions in a more fired up manner. I feel that people can make the decision if they are hunting in conditionsthat if you didn't wear BO you must have been brain dead.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I misunderstood your earlier posts digj200, my mistake. Sorry about that!
Old 12-19-2005, 02:51 PM

That's alright, I told you I must not have been clear enough because I thought we had very similar views on the issue.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with wearing blaze orange. I wear a hat and vest untill I get to my treestand, then I take it off. I just really have a hard time with more laws made by people who don`t hunt. This might come out wrong but 22 fatel accidents in 10 yrs, that`s 2 per yr, that really doesn`t seem like a high number as far as the # of hunters in NY.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

Can't believe how short sighted some of you guys are. Requiring blaze orange is the most ridiculous idea I have ever heard. All it does is reinforce the shoot first identify later mentality. Nothing can replace the responsibility of each hunter to identify his target. Have any of you considered the fact that there are lots of other people out in the woods who are NOT hunting? Have you considered that alot of people don't hunt and don't own blaze orange clothing. Basically what you are saying is that its not safe for anyone to go out in the woodsanywhere hunters are. Or to get this straight, my wife can go out and walk down the same trail as me without hunter orange and be completely safe but if i walk out there with a gun in my hand then I may be shot? What you people are advocating is the outright ban of hunting since its obvious from your arguments that no one is safe in the woods if they don't wear hunter orange.The Peta supporter who is going out to protest your deer hunt ain't going to be wearing blaze orange. So the hunter will be safe because he has on blaze orange but the poor PETA supporter may get shot just for being in the woods? Thats right, go ahead and tell the world what bunch of reckless idiots we are and give them laws which prove it.This is not a hunter only issue and you really are scaring people.Maybe we should put a sign on public lands," enter at your own risk without hunter orange, moronic, gun carrying hunters may be present andmay shoot your ass if you aint wearing it. Apparently they seem to believe the woods belong to them alone."

Quick Reply: NY Blaze Orange Bill

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.