Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

WV numbers are in.

Old 12-11-2005, 09:32 AM

Default WV numbers are in.

http://www.wvdnr.gov/2005news/05news231.shtm

Here are the numbers for this year. Look at the numbers over the last 5 years. From almost 100,000 to 56,000. Every district has declined the last 4 years. Is it going to go back up or keep going down?
Old 12-11-2005, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: WV numbers are in.

I love the following paragraph from the link.

"The harvest of antlerless deer is the key to healthier, heavier, and more productive deer herds. This is because there are natural limits to the number of deer the land can support. When these natural limits are exceeded, deer body weights, reproductive rates, antler development, and herd health declines, including an increased likelihood that deer will die over winter. If deer exceed natural limits long enough, habitat quality is reduced which produces a long-term reduction in the natural limit of deer the land can support. Hunters and landowners can avoid these problems by participating and encouraging a reasonable antlerless deer harvest."
Old 12-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bob...do you not agree with that statement? Just wondering, because I agree with it wholeheartedly.

I'd much rather see 10 deer a day with 2 or 3 being reasonable bucks than see 30 per day and one spike.

Just me...but I like the number of deer the way it is now in our area. I feel that too many won't get far enough from the 4-wheeler to actually hunt. Many are so spoiled that they expect deer behind every tree. There was nobody hunting in our area this year. We own 400 acres and there are thousands of acres bordering us that is privately owned. We heard VERY FEW shots and saw no hunters that weren't on 4-wheelers.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:00 PM

WV needs a 1 buck and 3 doe limit statewide!!!!
Old 12-11-2005, 07:52 PM

I hunt on a good farm where I can see alot of land and deer crossing. The first day of gun season I saw 25-30 deer. A four point, three spikes and rest does. I have only seen one buck larger than a six and it was an eight pt. I killed with my bow. All told I saw about 10-12 bucks this year counting bow season. I agree with the one buck a year, at least for a while. Let some mature.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, one buck per year would be good policy.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pro-Line

Bob...do you not agree with that statement? Just wondering, because I agree with it wholeheartedly.

I'd much rather see 10 deer a day with 2 or 3 being reasonable bucks than see 30 per day and one spike.

Just me...but I like the number of deer the way it is now in our area. I feel that too many won't get far enough from the 4-wheeler to actually hunt. Many are so spoiled that they expect deer behind every tree. There was nobody hunting in our area this year. We own 400 acres and there are thousands of acres bordering us that is privately owned. We heard VERY FEW shots and saw no hunters that weren't on 4-wheelers.
Amen!!!!
Old 12-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I noticed that in my county, the antlered buck harvest increased this year for the first time since 2000. I'll be happy as long as QUALITY increases.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:29 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-12-2005, 08:25 PM

i see n3 scrapes and like 5 rubs on our 125 acres this year........ 3 years ago i could count atleast 50 rubs and 20 scrapes without even trying to look for them

Quick Reply: WV numbers are in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.