Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

WV numbers are in.

Old 12-16-2005, 07:59 PM

Default RE: WV numbers are in.

I don't know what restrictions would be best. Points per side or one deer. I kinda think one buck then the meet hunters wouldn't complain about waiting for a nice buck.

My complain now is the price of license for 2006. 2005 sportsman pkg. and trout stamp- 32.50. Free online at wvhunt.com
2006- 33.00 sportmans pkg.
10.00 trout stamp
2.00 online fee each transaction or 3.00 at agent and1.00eachadditional purchase

Doe stamps are not avail. now so you have to pay another fee later in the year.

From $32.50 in 05 to $46.00 in 06 for the minimum for me.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:33 AM

ORIGINAL: bige1769

I don't know what restrictions would be best. Points per side or one deer. I kinda think one buck then the meet hunters wouldn't complain about waiting for a nice buck.

My complain now is the price of license for 2006. 2005 sportsman pkg. and trout stamp- 32.50. Free online at wvhunt.com
2006- 33.00 sportmans pkg.
10.00 trout stamp
2.00 online fee each transaction or 3.00 at agent and1.00eachadditional purchase

Doe stamps are not avail. now so you have to pay another fee later in the year.

From $32.50 in 05 to $46.00 in 06 for the minimum for me.
really we are just now catching up to what other states charge....
Old 12-17-2005, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

bige1769...I live in Ohio, but own a farm in WV.

If I kill 3 deer and 2 turkeys in Ohio...AS A RESIDENT...it costs me $139. That's as a resident. ($24 per tag...and $19 for license)

Don't complain too much. LOL

For a non-res in Ohio to kill 3 deer and 2 turkeys...it's $211. For a non-res to do that in WV, it would be $210. The non-res license in WV are in line with others...their resident licenses are a little low compared to other states.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:25 PM

Ok. Point well taken but is it safe to say it is going up at a bad time because IMHO the deer quality is as low as I have seen it in many years.

I am not saying I am the best hunter or in the best spot but I do hunt long and hard all season and I just don't see many mature bucks. Sure the 8pt I killed with my bow was mature but he was not a big body deer.

I killed areal nice(HA HA)spike on Friday with my rifle that I know outweighed it. Thats why I killed it. It was asbroad as it was long.(Almost)

Just wondering what everyone else thinks?
Old 12-17-2005, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see what you're saying, Bige.

I am in the minority, I guess when it comes to the deer herd. Maybe it's just my area...maybe not. We're seeing big bucks. We're just having to hunt our a$$ off to kill them. I honestly feel (no ripping on anyone here) that many have become spoiled. I've said it many times, but too many hunters won't leave their damn 4-wheelers long enough to get close to a big buck.

I don't care what anybody says...big bucks can hear a quad from a mile away, and they know full well that there's a human on it.

I also feel that less deer is a good thing. Some areas may be too low, I'm not familiar with the herds, except in a couple counties....but in our area of Braxton, our deer look great. There are definitely less of them...but they look great.

Just my $.02...Some may want to see 50 deer a day. I have no problem with that. I personally would rather see less deer and bigger bucks. I feel for those of you that are seeing less deer and less quality deer. That's a loss in 2 ways.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pro-Line

I see what you're saying, Bige.

I am in the minority, I guess when it comes to the deer herd. Maybe it's just my area...maybe not. We're seeing big bucks. We're just having to hunt our a$$ off to kill them. I honestly feel (no ripping on anyone here) that many have become spoiled. I've said it many times, but too many hunters won't leave their damn 4-wheelers long enough to get close to a big buck.

I don't care what anybody says...big bucks can hear a quad from a mile away, and they know full well that there's a human on it.

I also feel that less deer is a good thing. Some areas may be too low, I'm not familiar with the herds, except in a couple counties....but in our area of Braxton, our deer look great. There are definitely less of them...but they look great.

Just my $.02...Some may want to see 50 deer a day. I have no problem with that. I personally would rather see less deer and bigger bucks. I feel for those of you that are seeing less deer and less quality deer. That's a loss in 2 ways.
you're right on the $$,Bro....
Old 12-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no problem with what some of you are saying about seeing 10 deer a day instead od fifty on your 100's of acres of "private" land butfor those of us that aren't lucky enough to have all of this private land to hunt and have to hunt public land it's killingus. I hunted 17 days in bow season and although I did get lucky enough to kill a nice buck and doe I only saw deer 4 of those 17 days. Now to me that's just not enough. I think that the DNR is going to start getting alot of flack, as if they care, with rising license prices and lower deer numbers. I don't think that you have to see 50 a day but I do expect to see something. JMHO
Old 12-19-2005, 02:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

My hope is that when numbers get too low, license sales drop off and they have to restrict bag limits to bring back numbers to sell licenses, etc. etc.

I don't want to see even 20 deer a day dark to dark, but haven't seen a really nice buck in a long time.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gutshot

I have no problem with what some of you are saying about seeing 10 deer a day instead od fifty on your 100's of acres of "private" land butfor those of us that aren't lucky enough to have all of this private land to hunt and have to hunt public land it's killingus. I hunted 17 days in bow season and although I did get lucky enough to kill a nice buck and doe I only saw deer 4 of those 17 days. Now to me that's just not enough. I think that the DNR is going to start getting alot of flack, as if they care, with rising license prices and lower deer numbers. I don't think that you have to see 50 a day but I do expect to see something. JMHO
1st... I hunt on less than 100...way less....
and 2nd.... the plan worked FOR you... you killed a NICE buck, regardless of how many other deer you saw... AND.....you DID tag out with a bow, how many more did you need to see?

Old 12-20-2005, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rem's right...You only need to see as many deer as you have tags to be successful. LOL

I can remember when I first started hunting in Ohio. If you saw a deer, you were calling people telling them about it. I bowhunted something like 30 days one season and saw less than 10 deer. 3 of them would have made Ohio big bucks...that's a score of 140+.

Is that going to happen in WV? No. But, I just don't want to see all 4" spikes like we used to. I actually feel that the numbers will be higher next year due to the huge mast year. That's one thing nobody's talking about. Deer will slow their birth rates when they aren't healthy. They'll even abort when they are malnutritioned. We hadn't had any acorns for 4 years to speak of at our place...and that sure didn't help. This year they were still littering the ground during gun season.

Quick Reply: WV numbers are in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.