Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Mountain lion in PA RUMOR??

Old 12-14-2005, 05:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Mountain lion in PA RUMOR??

You want to join NYbowhuter and the rest of us on our next Bigfoot hunt? We use calibrated kegs.
I saw a nice one the other day chasing a Zebra through the soybean field.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

You didn't realize it when moose and I were jerking your chain.
Here I thought we were having an honest debate. Turns out you guys were just killing time "jerking (my) chain"
Your credibility is now zero.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Your credibility is now zero.
That's funny don't care who you are.

I saw a nice one the other day chasing a Zebra through the soybean field.

Your not baiting them with exoyics again are you?
Old 12-15-2005, 12:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't imagine why there wouldn't be courgars in PA?? PA has the perfect habitat with vast expanses of woodland
and certainly at top of food chain.It could no doubt thrive and evade human contact for yrs in a state like PA.One of the most elusive animals in nature.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't imagine why there wouldn't be courgars in PA??
Really, you can't? How about the fact that for hundreds of years an ever increasing swarm of the most successfull predators of all (human beings)were hell bent to eradicate them. We took out quite a list of species in the east including elk,grey moose, buffalo and almost the whitetail and these are just a few of the species that were eliminated not on purpose but just in the wake of the human expansion. Mountain lions were hunted,poisoned and shot on sight by anybody and everybody just to get rid of them.And BTW, PA is one of the most populated states in the U.S. with 268 people per sqare mile according to the 1999census. You have 12 MILLION people, more than 45,000 miles of state highway alone and yet less than 45,000 square miles in area. A mountain lions range is over 150 sqaure miles. The experts will tell you that the cougars were gone by the mid to late 1800's when the human population was tiny compared to today. I think its pretty easy to "imagine" that they just aren't here any more. Just like dozens of other species that were here when the pilgrims landed butnow are gone.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:04 AM

I am one who is guilty of making some fun at those who love these rumors, but in all seriousness, I don't doubt that there is the occasional big cat that makes its way into the northeastern forests. I just don't understand why there hasn't been one killed by some trigger-happy hunter during rifle season if they are in fact here. You have close to a million armed guys and gals in the woods then. It boggles my mind that they wouldn't run into even one cougar and kill it when you consider the fact that these rumors have been circulating for the past twenty years or so. I will reserve judgement on this subject until I see a dead cougar. Photos can be doctored.

Probably the best video I have seen that purports to be a video of a cougar is actually of a large housecat. Most of the genuine videos of cougars come from cougar country out west.

Here is a photo of my cougar mount. I took the cat in Idaho a few years ago. Taxidermist was Mike McCullough of Mac's Taxidermy, Fort Loudon, PA.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/patrkyhntr17252/lion.jpg
Old 12-15-2005, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think its pretty easy to "imagine" that they just aren't here any more. Just like dozens of other species that were here when the pilgrims landed butnow are gone.
Nobody I know is saying that they are "still here".
The point you obviously are missing is that some think
they are trying to come back, by expanding their range
from other states.
Weseem tobehaving a failure tocommunicate.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank You
Old 12-15-2005, 08:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

George, Cool Mount.

Why would mountain lions need to expand their range, what state did they commute from and why skip the states in between?

Old 12-15-2005, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great Question CP. Why don't you answer that one??

Quick Reply: Mountain lion in PA RUMOR??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.