Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New Guy wants to tag along.

Old 12-04-2005, 10:29 AM

Default New Guy wants to tag along.

Hi guys.

I was thnking about getting a dog. Not a 'hunting' dog, just a regular pet one. I had an Irish Terrier as a kid and thought that I'd get one of those. AS I resaeched it though, I started reading about other terriers like the Jack Russle and the Patterdale and about ground dogs in genneral. That lead me to reading about "lurchers" which led me to foxhounds and here I am.

I have never hunted any thing in my entire life. I take that back. I shot a squirl once with a 12 ga. I didn't know that the thing would vaporise and I felt real bad about killing the cute little squirl later on. Any way, it's not because I have any thing against hunting it's just that no one ever showed me how. I figure if Iwant to get into hunting at this stage of my life it would be hunting preditory critters like Racoons, Foxes and Coyotes. I am a 38 year old mostly out-of-shape man, not a young kid or a chick looking to get a date.

What I would like is to tag along on a hound or terrrier hunt with some one. I have no dog. I don't even have a gun right now since it apears that FID cards "run out" now in Mass. I live in North Eastern mass and ma available most any time except Saturday. If any one would be so kind I would be much obliged.

Thanks

Ken V.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:31 PM

Default RE: New Guy wants to tag along.

Hi,

I'm not sure if I some how came off as a tool or something. If I did I can only claim that it's because I am a total rookie!

If any one in Northeastern MA, southern ME NU or VT is going to be hunting ANY critters over dogs I'd love to tag along. While I am not a hunter I was inthe service and can (prety much) keep my noise to myself in the woods, if that's a consideration. No dog, no gun, no danger to a soul I just want to see if it's all "for me" before I start the process for myself.

thanks guys

Ken
Old 12-08-2005, 09:00 PM
RMQ

Dogless,
check out UKC's website ukcdogs.com/coonhounds or coondawgs.com; there are numerous events listed by area and go to one of the clubs listed in your area. Its a good way to meet otherhound hunters; and most would probablybe happy to take you along.
good luck
Old 12-09-2005, 12:24 AM
Spike

very classy responce. Most otheres may have just totaled this poor guy!!! way to go and merry christmas!!
Old 12-10-2005, 11:52 AM

Goodluck on your search. We need predator hunters. Since I am still in school, I can only hunt Saturdays and that is for pheasants. On public land where birds are stocked the night before you can see that there is a major problem with predators. Because of that I joined a hunting club that has pheasant hunting on club grounds during the season and we now wised up and stock that morning. We usually don't start hunting until 8ambut at least we know there are birds in there.

I went to the Big MOE (Massachusetts Outdoor Expo) at Hamilton R&G in Sturbridge a couple years ago and I seem to remember guys trying to get me to join their club I think it is in Sutton, MA. Big hunting dog club, I am under the impression that 99% of the members own a hunting dog. I would try and research that out, it seems like the best place to start.

There is a hunting club about 1/4 mile down the street from the club I belong to, on Mason Road in Holden called the North Worcester Fox and Coon club. They have a website that basically says they exist (http://www.nwfcc.org). Reading one of their old newsletters on the website, it appears they have UKC events held there. This club maybe more along your lines.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the leads and info guys and thanks for NOT totaling me! I realy AM interested in at least seeing what it's all about. I always have been but no one in my family was a hunter and I never had tiem as an adult. Well, now I do! I STILL don't know any one that hunts though so here I am.

Ken