Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

wmu 3N in upstate ny

Old 11-09-2005, 03:34 PM

Default RE: wmu 3N in upstate ny

Yeah i second that. Though some bad hunters from LI would be nice so i can get the big ones in the swamp after you scare everything in there. And i doubt you know where they go...
Old 11-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

yeah like i said i got it from a friend for setting up his computer and i also got a 3m that i will be using. OH and i must say not all of us from long island are bad hunters.Although there a a lot of them. my buddy had family in that area of 3n i just found out but i am not driving all the way there just to use a doe tag i think i am goin to give it to him...
Everyone has givin me doe tags either for 3m or 3n and for long island just for setting their computers up. the person who gave me the 3n hunts in barryville. why he got 3n i am still trying to figure that out
Old 11-09-2005, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a good piece of public land in 3n...

West Branch Headwaters unit

With 561 prime acres for hunting, this unit provides deer hunters with a great hunting opportunity (only bow, shotgun and muzzleloaders are allowed in their respective seasons in Putnam County).
West Branch Headwaters unit is located at the south tip of Sagamore Lake and is part of WMU 3N. Access this unit from Route 301, which runs east-west through Putnam County.
There are three very good DEP pull-offs along Route 301 that allow limited parking. All provide varying degrees of trail access into the unit. There are numerous low elevation areas that hold swampy water. Hunt in and around the fringe areas that surround these swampy locations. This is a great area to locate places where deer will funnel in and out of these watery areas, going from food sources and back to their secure areas.

Old 11-09-2005, 05:28 PM

Its too late to just show up and hunt, too much dunb luck. Should have been scouted a long while ago...
Old 11-09-2005, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Filling a Doe tag in that area of the state does not require a great deal of scouting. This is especially true during the shotgun season on public land where other hunters are constantly effecting the deers natural patterns.

A simple topographic map will point out the areas that deer are most likely to move towards when under hunting pressure. A few hours at home with the map shouldhave you on the right track regardless of whether you get the time to visit the property before your hunt.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:13 PM

I know exactly where that is, i drive past it all the time. There is so much land there if you just go on there and try to hunt i guarantee you'll get lost without a general understanding of the area. Too much land to just show up and hunt. Just because there are a lot of deer in the area doesnt mean you're going to get one anyway. Thats why they call it Huntin'
Old 11-09-2005, 06:22 PM

Just because you have a topo map doesn't mean you know where they are active. And when was the last update on a map arround that area? You've got to go out look for rubs and scrapes trails and about 1,000 other signs if you want to have a shot on a good deer. Anyone can go out wait in one spot long enough for a deer. He'll be lost in 20 minutes and prob piss off alot of other hunters that did put in there time. Just because you see it on paper doesn't mean a hunter that deserves it isn't sitting in that spot.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just because you have a topo map doesn't mean you know where they are active.
It is very easy to discern prime deer habitat in that area from a topographic, including natural funnels, travel corridors, and likely bedding areas.

And when was the last update on a map arround that area?
Unless I missed an ice age or two, topographic maps of undeveloped land in NY will not have any majorchanges at all regardless of how old they are.

Just because you see it on paper doesn't mean a hunter that deserves it isn't sitting in that spot.
What would make either hunter more or less deserving? Common courtesy concerning hunting public land should be the deciding factor. Basically it would come down to who arrived there first.

I am sure this member is well aware he is going hunting, not necessarily shooting. There is no reason why he should not be able to enjoy hunting state land if he is properly prepared and licensed.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

i didnt mean to cause a heated discushing i was just curious on where it was. Thats all..
Old 11-10-2005, 09:35 AM

I like a good heated discussion, it makes things interesting and its all in good fun.

Quick Reply: wmu 3N in upstate ny

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.