Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Posting pictures of deer taken over bait...

Old 11-04-2005, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Posting pictures of deer taken over bait...

ORIGINAL: arlow
Too many elitist here judging others.
The only purpose in wanting people to state the animal was taken over bait is so you or others can berate them for using a method that you consider to be unsavory.
Actually it is whining tirads such as the one above that divide the hunting comunity. Not one person here has posted a negative comment about baiting. However there are already numerous posts including the one above berating a group of hunters for their beliefs.

Your post is actually laughable, you specifically state.."Too many elitist here judging others.", then you have the audacity to go on and blindly judge other hunters with the following statement.."The only purpose in wanting people to state the animal was taken over bait is so you or others can berate them for"

Byyour own definition, yourstatement makes youone the "elitist" members here who is already passing "judgements".

Old 11-04-2005, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I am an elitist. I refuse to judge anyone who hunts with methods legal in their state. And I have an opinion of those who do.

I understand stand now.

Steve
Old 11-04-2005, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

JC,
Why do you always assume that a deer has not been baited?
Old 11-04-2005, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think a bigger issue is HOW is that bait distributed,and what the bait is. A person who dumps 50 lbs of corn in the woods in the Midwest isn't doing a whole lot except maybe getting a few deer to come his direction.The deermayvisit anytime day or night, and they have a lot of corn eating options rather than his bait pile. However if it is using an electronic feeder, in the middle of Texas (or some other similar area where high energy food, and farm crops are rare), and that feeder isscheduled togo off at 8:00 a.m. its a whole different matter. Those deer come to the sound of the feederlikePavlovian dogs to a bell. They knowthat the first one there gets allthe feed, show up late and you get nothing. I really feel this type of feeding/hunting is very unsportsmanlike.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't thinkkrispy creamswork that well. I have had no luck with them at all.[]
Old 11-04-2005, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Handles,
Is hunting over bait less “sporting” than some other methods of hunting? I think so.
Is hunting over a 150 x 100 yard food plot with a high powered rifle where that food is the best source of food less “sporting” than some other methods? I think so?

You want sporting? Still hunt with a spear in white gasoline soaked coveralls with the Michigan Marching Band behind you playing Free Bird

The point is that of course some methods of hunting are more difficult than others. But I don’t think, as jcchartboy suggests, we should feel obligated to post whether is was over bait, a food plot, using scent eliminators, cover scents, attractants, grunt calls, rattle bags, camo clothing, a ground blind, tree stand, or any other “advantage” in order to qualify a posting of a deer I took
Old 11-04-2005, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does a deer come running at 8:00 a.m. when the "food plot" goes off? No it doesn't. I've hunted around fields most of my life, you can't dictate when the food is dispensed to the deer. 90% of the deer come out AFTER dark and are back in BEFORE first light. With a feeder you can program the deer when to come to the food. Unsportsman like in my opinion.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am in total agreement that baiting can give you a very decided advantage. Not sure where you read i don't agree with that.

My point is that every method of hunting along with whatever advantageyou want to give yourself through baiting, attractants, clothing, whatever, changes the degree of whatsome mayconsider "sporting"

My example with the marching band, although absurd, would be on one end of the sporting scale and baiting would be on the other with everything else lying somewhere in between. But as long as it's legal why should I have to qualify my posting a picture of my deer as suggested by the originator of this post
Old 11-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DannyD

JC,
Why do you always assume that a deer has not been baited?
Where I grew up and learned about hunting and deer hunting specifically it has always been considered an illegal activity. In fact it is considered a form of poaching.

In the large majority of this country it is still illegal.

So in reality baiting is the exception, not the rule when considering legally harvesting deer...

In fact it is very unfortunate that hunters who use bait are so defensive and combative every time the issue comes up. Perhaps if they did proudly display their trophy harvests and admit that they were taken over bait, thenhunters from other areas where baiting is illegal, would realize that it is in fact a socially accepted practice in some areas of this country.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DannyD

why should I qualify my posting a picture?
You answered that question already yourself...

I am in total agreement that baiting can give you a very decided advantage.

My point is that every method of hunting along with whatever advantageyou want to give yourself through baiting, attractants, clothing, whatever, changes the degree of whatsome mayconsider "sporting"

Quick Reply: Posting pictures of deer taken over bait...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.