Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

To all you guys posting your land do to the "new "dangers of hunting.

Old 10-08-2005, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: To all you guys posting your land do to the "new "dangers of hunting.

I know that's my point at the very worst it will be the same as shotgun shoot till you're empty but for the most part I feel it's going to make the woods safer because mosthunters will be looking through a scope and firing once instead of five
Old 10-08-2005, 07:55 AM

Default RE: To all you guys posting your land do to the "new "dangers of hunting.

I think in PA, the game commission has stats that show shotgunners having a higher rate of injury than rifle hunters.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:55 PM

ORIGINAL: johnl

at the very worst it will be the same as shotgun shoot till you're empty.
And just like with a muzzleloader...wait a minute...

Rifles will allow those guys to place more accurate shots that have more knock down power. These anti's that are all bent out of shape over nothing should see their psychiatrist to see if they are even mentally fit to possess a firearm, let alone be in the woods.

As soon as a hunter goes into Posted property, he is no longer a hunter. He is a Poacher.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:55 PM

Excuse my ignorance, being a new transplant to NJ ( no rifles [>:]) from Texas. What exactly is the danger that a rifle poses over a shotgun? Is it distance?
Old 10-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, Hawkeye

Even the most advanced Sabot shotgun shells begin to fall very quickly past 200yds. Most won't make it to 300 yds before they hit ground if shot at an animal the height of a deer that is within 150yds.

Obviously, this is not true of most rifle calibers.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:45 AM

With distance, you can't be picked out as easily. Although Blaze Orange isn't a requirement, it is a good investment. But it has already has it's own thread.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:46 AM

Please allow me to clarify something for you fine folks.
I live in central NY, and for as long as i can remember NY has been broken up into 2 regions for hunting, Northern zone (rifle permitted) and southern zone (rifle prohibited) and for GOOD reason. The whole saftey concern is that in the northern zone, wich is a line that runs east to west about 20 miles north of the mohawk river, is made up of mostly dense forest (Adirondack Mts.) long range clean shots avg. about 150-200 yds.
Now in the southern Zone where rifle was prohibited until this year is made up of small patches of woods but mostly open fields, farm land andrural residential areas, what ppl are concerned with here is there children playing in the yard and catching a 300 mag round while playing on the swing set in the back yard. I'm not trying to defend the ppl that are posting there land, i myself am a safe hunter and always make sure of my target. but not everyone that hunts here is as responsible. There is just a big difference in terrain when comparing rifle use in northern zone vs. southern zone. Another good example would be a hunter taking a shot at a deer standing next to a headrow from 200 or even 300 yds away missing and possibly hitting a passing car traveling the road unseen on the other side of the headrow. So you see there is a legitimatecause for concern in these sometimes well populated hunting areas. So with that said i hope you guys can see why alot of ppl are concerned.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:19 PM

Ok here are some of the major concerns with rifle hunting in the southern tier in NY. I luckily live a couple miles from the northern tier line which allows me to hunt northern and southern regions of NY. Those of you not familiar with the northern region of NY it is all hard woods. It starts pretty much were the Adirondack Mountains begin. One major concern with people in the southern tier is that in the southern zone there are many fields, farms, roads, and houses that are in close proximity to hunting areas. Yes there are rural areas in the southern zone but that also means more farms, cattle, etc. Hunters unfamiliar with an area can easily shoot towards a house they can't see, cattle, or over roads they aren't aware of. The thick forests of the Northern zone keeps the travel distance of a bullet down because it has a greater chance of hitting trees. A bullet shot out of a rifle in the southern zone has much more potential to travel a couple hundred yards if not more. Yes there are responsible hunters that I trust in the woods with me to hunt with rifles but there are also hunters that I wouldn't trust with a pea shooter. Hope this helps clear things up for hunters out side of NY and let me vent on this rifle issue NYS hunters must deal with.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally don't see the need for rifles in that area in the first place. Winging a shot off at a deer 300yds may take alot of shooting skill, however it doesn't take alot of hunting skill. Most deer in that area have little fear of humans when they are that far away.

I am not saying I am against it, I simply believe it takes alot of the "hunt" out of hunting. When combined with the fact that it does increase safety risks, I am not sure that it is a wise battle for a few individuals, to drag the hunting community as whole, into...

Just my opinion...JC
Old 10-11-2005, 09:22 AM

Here is the way I look at it, I go to the range 2-3 times a week, I reloadall my ammunition, I know where my rifle is going to hit so Why should I be told by people who don't know what is going on that I cannot use my rifle unless I drive 100 miles away from home to do so.

JC, I see what you mean about the "hunt" I am also a bow hunter, when I bow hunt it is great to call in a deer close enough to shoot it with my bow but when it comes to gun season I want the best implement at my disposal to fill my tags/freezer.

Quick Reply: To all you guys posting your land do to the "new "dangers of hunting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.