Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

License sales in PA

Old 08-23-2005, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default License sales in PA

I saw on another website that the number of license sold are down 88,000.Does anybody have any stats on this?I hope it's not true because this is a serious chunk of change lost in revenue.
I knew the numbers would drop some because of the deer hunters traveling to the NC.I'm sure the price of gas isn't helping either.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: License sales in PA

old timers quitting........not many new people starting.......lack of deer last year in many areas.........ya i can see sales being down.........noone gets kids interested in hunting anymore........its kind of a dying sport slowly.........kinda sad to say.....but it slowly is.........so theres oldtimers quitting and not any newcomers to replace them.........and the guys that hunt areas where the deer herd is smaller then it used to be...so after last year that figured why bother to spend 30 bucks to sit in the woods one day and look at a few trees all day and freeze??..........my thoughts on it..........id say its very possible.....but no real numbers.........i can just see it being true
Old 08-23-2005, 08:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Regular license sales or just the doe tag allocations?
Old 08-23-2005, 08:19 PM

Gosh I'm gonna miss youse guys.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I tell ya alot of guys around here are hunting maryland,delaware,and the virginias.When I hunted virginia all you did is go to walmart and get a doe tag whenever you needed one.Not all this master degree applications. You realize how much money it takes to just run the doe tag system.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

well, I'm doing my part and getting my brother-in-law involved. He hunted a long time ago but eventually dropped the sport when he went to school. He often talked about getting back in it so I went out and baught him his license for his birthday. Nothing like teaching someone else everything you have learned over the years.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mauser06
old timers quitting........not many new people starting.......lack of deer last year in many areas.........ya i can see sales being down.........noone gets kids interested in hunting anymore........its kind of a dying sport slowly.........kinda sad to say.....but it slowly is.........so theres oldtimers quitting and not any newcomers to replace them.........and the guys that hunt areas where the deer herd is smaller then it used to be...so after last year that figured why bother to spend 30 bucks to sit in the woods one day and look at a few trees all day and freeze??..........my thoughts on it..........id say its very possible.....but no real numbers.........i can just see it being true
Dang, Mauser06....
That's what I have been noticing, not just around here, or up in your area, or down around AL somewhere... I mean, it's slowly happening ALL OVER THE PLACE! []

I guess I could be looked at as a relative newcomer (this is my 4th year hunting coming up). And I am 44 years old! Let's flash back 40 years ago, 30 years ago, 20 years ago....

I was 4 yrs old.
Dad went hunting, uncles went hunting, everybody went hunting.
Land was open and game was readily available.

I was 14 and didn't go hunting. I went fishing a lot but not hunting.
Dad gave up hunting, a few younger uncles still hunted.
Oldest brother in law went outhunting a few times.
I had the interest, but nobody would show me how and/or take me.
Land was still open in places but due to developing you had to drive further to find the good spots.

I was 24, in the Coast Guard, and recently married.
Nobody I knew hunted, all relatives have given up hunting.
Dad tried to get back into it back in 1982 but grew tired quickly.
Open land was rapidly shrinking and suburbs were expanding outwards at an alarming rate.
Game was not as available as it once was.
Prices of hunting licenses and tags were rising also.
Dozens and dozens of the "old school" hunters gave it up.

See a downward trend here? It is sadly getting that way.... I talk to a lot of the older guys at my company, and they talk about hunting in Virginia in the 70's and so on. They no longer hunt now due to lack of time, lack of land, increased prices, etc.....

I'm not sure about PA, but I know in VA, there were only 250,000 resident deer hunters last year (according to VDGIF). 30 years ago, that figure was probably 650,000.

How was PA about 20 years ago or 30 years ago? I remember traveling through PA way back then and again, it was almost required of any Pennsylvanian kid to go out and go hunting!
Old 08-24-2005, 08:52 AM
Typical Buck

Yep looks like the anti hunters are winning , most teachers are sideing with the Bambi croud, take a look at the cartoons that the kids watch on TV, the comedy shows, they all make us hunters look like blood thirsty fools, and the kids are falling for it. This push has been going on for over 30yrs.even a lot of old hunters have fallen for their garbage.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Based on this chart PA license sales have dropped 22.5% over 20 yearsas of 2003. I can't find anything updated for '04. http://www.nssf.org/IndustryResearch/PDF/HistLicSales.pdf

What caught my attention though was the country, as a whole, has only dropped 10% in those same 20 years. Some states doubled their number of licenses in those years.

Old 08-24-2005, 01:35 PM

In PA Junior license sales have increased from 98K in 1997 to over 110K in 2004 while the Senior licenses dropped 10K over the same time period. It's the regular adult license sales that have dropped considerably.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=460&q=159015

Quick Reply: License sales in PA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.