Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Lawsuit challenges policies on PA deer

Old 08-22-2005, 03:15 PM

Default RE: Lawsuit challenges policies on PA deer

What does this have to do with the USP Lawsuit, which was the topic of the original post? As usual this individual turns any topic he posts in into a "bash Alt and the PGC" thread.

The USP lawsuit is ill conceived, poor strategy, and hopefully will end in costing the USP all of its financial resources. It is the ultimate example of "I'll sue you if I don't get my way," thinking. The leadership of USP should be laughed out of town for bringing this one, and anyone who supports their effort here has a serious problem dealing with reality.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:01 PM

BTB raised the issue that the USP suit opens the door for antihunting groups like Peta to file additional suits. I simply rebutted his claim by pointing out that the PGC has provided the necessary data for any anti-hunting group to file suit claiming that hunting was not an effective tool for controling the herd.
If you go back and look at the PGC press releases you will see that they claim the PS herd increased from 1.3M in 2002 to 1.6 M in 2004. Any two bit lawyer could go back through the PGC PR's and make any PGC biologist look silly. How would a PGC biologist defend implementing AR's in 5 C when the OWDD goal is 6 DPSM?
Old 08-22-2005, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sigh.... He just keeps going and going and going.

Sorry guys,[&:] it looks like I got him started this time. (NOT INTENTIONALLY!!)
I actually thought we had this dead horse buried.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:15 PM

Don't worry about it. If you started a thread about ballroom dancing, he would find some way to turn it into another forum for his hatred for the PGC.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:00 PM

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Sigh.... He just keeps going and going and going.

Sorry guys,[&:] it looks like I got him started this time. (NOT INTENTIONALLY!!)
I actually thought we had this dead horse buried.
Let me make this perfectly clear, I DO NOT HATE THE PGC. The PGC has a very difficult job providing hunting opportunties for 1 M hunters while more land is being developed every day. The previous deer managers produced record total harvest of 1.5 buck, 2.5+ buck and antlerless deer in 2002. Those harvests were not the result of Alt's paln but they were the result of what he referred to as the failed deer management of the past.

If the PGC has any hope of managing the deer herd successfully, they have to be honest with the hunters of PA. They can't make promises they can't keep and they have to maintain a deer population that retains enough hunters to control it. If the PGC reduces the herd to levels where hunters no longer enjoy hunting they will lose the hunters that are needed to control the herd as the habitat recovers and as a result they will lose their ability to control the herd by hunting..
Old 08-22-2005, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't worry about it. If you started a thread about ballroom dancing, he would find some way to turn it into another forum for his hatred for the PGC
Time to use the litte red hand located in thelower left corner of a certain members posts?
Old 08-22-2005, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

That time is coming very soon[:@]
Old 08-23-2005, 02:52 PM

ORIGINAL: patrkyhntr

ORIGINAL: lost horn

If you guys had to hunt on public land I bet you would change your tune, go do a little archery hunting on your local game land this year. I know you would rather hunt in your back yard but try it for one week and let us know how you did.
I never hunt on private land anymore, but on State Gamelands 100% of the time. What is your point? I hunted eight days of the rifle season last year and saw only four other hunters. My buddy who hunted with me all eight days saw only one other hunter. Where are all these guys you think are overhunting the public land? They sure aren't where I'm hunting. I hunt the steepest, roughest, thickest part of the mountain. That is where the deer go after the first hour or so. I saw ten bucks last rifle season, seven of which were AR legal. Sorry, but it's true. You gotta get away from the road a bit to see deer.
Where in Pa are you seeing all those bucks on game lands?
Old 08-23-2005, 05:32 PM

I posted exactly which gamelands I hunt on in another post in this thread. Here are the main points, repeated for your benefit.

I don't know where you hunt, but I could use the company.
I hunt state gamelands number 81, nearly all of which is in Huntingdon County. Here is a link to a PDF map of the gamelands.
http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/lib/pgc/counties/maps/81.pdf
I don't think I ever get a mile away from the road, but do sometimes walk well over three miles from my cabin when still hunting. If you are hunting in an area where you can't get more than a hundred yards away from other hunters, try my gamelands, but be prepared to climb some steep and rough stuff. It isn't too far from Altoona. Now, on the negative side, our buck/doe ratio is quite low. I saw ten bucks during rifle season, but only thirty total deer. This suits me just fine, but it might not suit you. I did talk to some of the guys who usually hunt in this gamelands and they were complaining that they weren't seeing any deer at all. I have no reason to dispute what they or you are saying.
Here is a photo of a buck taken by a youngster I took out the first day. It was his first. He is 14.

I will add one other photo. This is of the buck I shot on Thursday of the second week of rifle season. Notice that the hair is completely gone from the right rear quarter. I had to drag him about a mile through the rocks. Not braggin'. You asked.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I gotta tell you turkeyhunter,it's been a few years since I talked to anybody that saw close to 30 deer or ten bucks in one season on state land.
Good job

Quick Reply: Lawsuit challenges policies on PA deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.