Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Deja-vu

Old 06-03-2005, 01:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: PA Deja-vu

I want it "just the way it was"! (so criticize me and tell me how im not looking out for the overall wealth of the entire herd). In all honesty,,,im greedy,, i want my son to sit in my stand and see 50-100 deer a day just like i did all thru the 80's & 90's the 1st week of rifle season(go ahead and laugh all you nay sayers,,some of those deer were seen twice and maybe even the third time in a 13 hour day but i seen em & it never slowed me down grabbin that 25-06 and jammin it out the window of the treestand to see if there were 3" horns above the hairline,,never slowed my heartbeat down to think that i might have already looked at that deer a hour or so ago) I think that some things such as nature are better left to nature to fix,,,not some money hungry govt. agency or employee to make a name for himself. I liked it when we were slammin spikes,,,4pt's 6's oh and man when you or a hunting partner shot that "GARBAGE RACKED" 8pt. it got the whole camp excited & rejuvinated to hunt harder for the rest of that 1st week of rifle. Those were the days and thats the way i want it
Old 06-03-2005, 05:50 AM

Sorry you guys missed me yesterday. Had to work out of town for the day.

I believe T is a hunter who is willing to look beyond his own preferences in order to support whats right for the herd and its habitat.
That sounds pretty good. I can add some additional things like taking the effort to locate quality hunting areas. Stopped by one of the areas Wednesday and it looked like a jungle. It was logged a couple years ago and is now an absolute jungle. No sense hunting in an area where you can see through the woods for a 100 or so yards. No cover or vegetation for the deer so why would a deer stay there?

now what you say about T i dont agree w/ you. i read his posts and he's got DCNR all over him.. he still thinks in areas that are very low need to keep going lower
LOL, Just to set the record straight I work for a private engineering firm. I was a state employee, kind of, once and that was when I was an intern in college. Have worked for private firms ever since then. I believe that the habitat will tell us at what level it can support a certain number of deer per square mile or square forested mile. As vegetation comes back and increases so too will the higher carrying capacity allowing for more deer. We just need to be patient instead of worrying about "getting my deer" every year.

Sounds to me like you boys should gas up the rigs this Nov. and head north.
Would love to deer hunt northern Maine. Hunted bear in the NMW many times and usually see more moose than deer but when you see a buck I've always said that deer hunting northern Maine with a rifle is an ultimate challenge with some great conditions, low hunter density and the possiblity of snow for tracking undisturbed deer.

not some money hungry govt. agency or employee to make a name for himself.
Yep, everyone is out for themself. Greed all around. Greedy governement, greedy biologists, greedy hunters.

im starting to wonder if the person who started this post even hunts.. id be curious to know
I hunt from the first day of archery season to the last day of flintlock season and not just weekends. My co-workers are quite used to me coming in late in the morning after a couple hours hunting.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: T_in_PA3

That sounds pretty good. I can add some additional things like taking the effort to locate quality hunting areas. Stopped by one of the areas Wednesday and it looked like a jungle. It was logged a couple years ago and is now an absolute jungle. No sense hunting in an area where you can see through the woods for a 100 or so yards. No cover or vegetation for the deer so why would a deer stay there?

everywhere looks like a jungle this time of year.. but trust me i hunt public area that has great cover or vegetation.. over 15,000 ac.. this land can hold more deer..

LOL, Just to set the record straight I work for a private engineering firm. I was a state employee, kind of, once and that was when I was an intern in college. Have worked for private firms ever since then. I believe that the habitat will tell us at what level it can support a certain number of deer per square mile or square forested mile. As vegetation comes back and increases so too will the higher carrying capacity allowing for more deer. We just need to be patient instead of worrying about "getting my deer" every year.

i did write that wrong.. i wasent trying to say you work for them.. just meaning you believe everything they say.. w/o question.. i just have a feeling they could tell you anything and you would take it to the bank...

Yep, everyone is out for themself. Greed all around. Greedy governement, greedy biologists, greedy hunters.

you are right on that

[I hunt from the first day of archery season to the last day of flintlock season and not just weekends. My co-workers are quite used to me coming in late in the morning after a couple hours hunting.

me too, and i hunt other game also...and i do feel better that you do hunt so i do take that back that i wondered if you hunted.. do you hunt public or private land most of the time???
that didnt come out the way i wanted it to, all bunched together but oh well
Old 06-03-2005, 07:36 PM

I knew what you meant on the DCNR comment PA. I just clarified it some more.

Hunt both private & public. Grew up hunting primarily high pressure public land while listening to buddies in high school talk about all the deer up north at camp. Southern Tier was opposite the Northern Tier back then. Was 10 years or so until I took my first buck. Only saw 1-2 before then.