Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Deja-vu

Old 06-01-2005, 07:29 PM

Default RE: PA Deja-vu

he is a trophy hunter
LOL, too funny. If you were to see the little 8 pt I shot last year. LOL Plenty of spikes, unicorns & 4 pts too.

What does it matter what I am to post links to hunting related articles?
Old 06-01-2005, 08:16 PM
Typical Buck

i just would feel better discussing the deer issue w/ a hunter. hunters have hands on training, they are out in the field a lot... least they should be..
ORIGINAL: T_in_PA3
What does it matter what I am to post links to hunting related articles?
Old 06-02-2005, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I haven't heard many say there are no deer BT,just very few
Actually, Germain, you are somewhat correct. You've consistentlty said too few instead of no deer.

The point I was trying to make is that there has been a small but noisy group spouting the same mantra for all the years I've been on this earth predicting complete "gloom and doom" for the deer herd. In the sixties it was the "no doe season" crowd. Then in the seventies we added a day to doe season and some said that surely now the sky is falling. In the eighties we had bonus tags and the same crowd declared it would be the end of the world. The with the nineties we expanded special regs limitations and seasons and dabbled with concurrent seasons and diaster was once again predicted by the Unified types. Now with the oo's (what the heck DO we call this decade?) AR and HR will be the demise of hunting......

I wasnt talking about reasonable guys (like you) working to make an inexact science better. I was trying to point out that the "chicken little" crowd hasn't changed much in 50 years. They just find a new villain every once in awhile!
Old 06-02-2005, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

He is a hunter ,but he is a trophy hunter that doesn't care if if 79 K hunters don't harvest a buck .as long as he can have a better chance of harvesting a trophy.

I believe T is a hunter who is willing to look beyond his own preferences in order to support whats right for the herd and its habitat.

If you take a trip through the archives of this forum, you will find that DD, on the other hand, has admitted more than once that he and his gang are willing to kill any buck, even button bucks by the pickup load, if thats what they have the opportunity to shoot. DD criticizing another man's hunting preferences sounds kinda like throwin rocks from a glass house.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:51 AM

btbowhunter i must be part of the chicken little crowd. because when i go hunting i like to see something also. being that you are an expert on the subject you must be right. how can you compare the southern counties to the northern. it is like night and day between the areas. i believe if you took a trip to the northern counties and tried hunting the big woods where the deer do not bed in the same place every night and do not drink at the same water hole every day. instead of the farm fields and apple orchords. i think you will find that it is not quite as easy as you think it is.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:42 AM

No matter how you slice it 5-10 or even 15 dpsm is unhuntable and there's no way you'll keep a youngster interested in hunting with those numbers.I know of quite a few kids that gave it a try inthe NC with their dads and after one year said "no thanks".And that's our future.
I have to disagree with that statement.
First of all, I started hunting at a young age(@10). My father, uncles and grandfather would take me out after squirels and pheasant, and I loved it. That is how you get a youngster interested in hunting.
I started hunting Deer when I was 15 back in 1977, back then the deer #s were much lower than they are today and you could only shoot bucks unless you were in the 5% of hunters who pulled a doe tag.
It took me five years to fill my first deer tag, and it was filled with a doe.
As far as the statement about 5-10 or even 15 deer psm being unhuntable, don't make me laugh.
I hunt in an area now where the deer psm is below one and I fill my tag nearly every year. Now consider that half of the deer I am hunting are does and I can only shoot bucks, I am now hunting a deer population that is near .30 deer psm.
Mister, if that aint hunting then I don't know what is.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

btbowhunter i must be part of the chicken little crowd. because when i go hunting i like to see something also.
Not what I said! read what I said and try again.

how can you compare the southern counties to the northern. it is like night and day between the areas. i believe if you took a trip to the northern counties and tried hunting the big woods where the deer do not bed in the same place every night and do not drink at the same water hole every day. instead of the farm fields and apple orchords. i think you will find that it is not quite as easy as you think it is.
You obviously havent got a clue about me. My camp is in the ANF and has been for 30 years. I hunt the northern counties and consistently see and harvest deer on public ground there. Yes there are less deer up there in some areas. I've seen it myself. I also believe reasonable guys like Germain when they worry that HR may have gone too far. All I said was that there has always been a small group who will never think there's enough deer. Always will be. Are you one of them? Maybe so, I dont know. I do know that you ought to take the time to know what and who youre talking about before you spout.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:54 AM

\
Old 06-02-2005, 10:54 AM

I hunt in an area now where the deer psm is below one and I fill my tag nearly every year. Now consider that half of the deer I am hunting are does and I can only shoot bucks, I am now hunting a deer population that is near .30 deer psm.
Did you post that as a joke or were you serious? Unless you only hunt cornfields for deer I doubt here are any huntable areas in PA with less than 5 DPSM. Or are you talking about hunting in maine?
Old 06-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

I started hunting Deer when I was 15 back in 1977, back then the deer #s were much lower than they are today and you could only shoot bucks
Lil John, before 1985 are the good old days that all of the hunters are talking about, when they would see the deer by the hundreds in the fields up in north central Pa. I seen them with my own eyes, I do admit there were too many at that time the browse line was about 6' high, but that is no longer the case, two weeks ago a friend and I spent five days in Potter Co. the browse line is gone in most places, I couldn't believe my eyes places where you at one time could see through the woods for hundred's of yards now you are lucky to see 30, the saplings are Beech, Cherry,Birch,Maple,Stripped maple. It looks like it was clear cut but it wasent the same big trees are still standing. We saw very little deer sign and only two road kill from Lancaster Co. to Cherry springs in Potter Co. So I guess the SLAUGHTER is working!

Quick Reply: PA Deja-vu

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.