Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

May turkey seasons in Wisconsin

Old 05-16-2005, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: May turkey seasons in Wisconsin

I had the May 11th week also. I too had very little luck calling, I worked a couple that hung up, but for the most part they ignored or hightailed it when I called. Occaisoinal clucks and purrs worked better but I was calling in hens that never had a freind with them. I did get to see an awesome bearded hen thogh and came close to getting her the last couple days. I am going back after the season and trying to get her on film, she had a 9 or 10 inch beard that would of made a gobbler proud. Oh well, guess I will have to wait till next year.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: buckmaster68

By the way konk did you ever get one? And to answer your question if all else fails hunt them like deer if they can be patterned. It worked for me.
Nope, unfortunatly I did not get one, but I did see a huge Tom on Thurs. and went back on Sat. I heard one about 9:00 and the chase was on. Well, guess who won? Being this was my first time out and w/o the advantage of experience to guide me I had fun. I will do this again. [8D]
Old 05-19-2005, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

Personally I like the later periods. Big toms are a lot easier to call in. They are kinda moody when it comes to gobbling. I shot a Boss tom last Saturday. They didn't start gobbling until 8am. Then all heck broke loose. Had about 4 different birds gobbling in different directions. I quickly found the nearest tree and set up to start calling. 5 minutes later I hear Fssssst BRRRRUUUUUUUPE! 5 ft behind my tree. He walked around the tree and gave me a nice easy 10ft shot to the dome. 27#, 1 1/4" and 1 3/8" hooks and a 12" beard. Best bird to date.

Old 05-20-2005, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

Just missed one this morning (6:30am) that never gobbled but was strut'n proud all the way in. I misjudged the distance and shot high. Still very upset with myself. I have two more days so I hope I can get one. I heard gobbling last week when I was scouting but nothing this week. They have been strutt'n all week however.

Good Luck !!

-Mathewsconquest2