Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Cat hunting in WI. I voted NO

Old 04-20-2005, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cat hunting in WI. I voted NO

You would not approve of your kids poaching animals why would you let your pets? You are responsible for your kids and your pets and neither should be running around poaching animals.

Careless cat owners have created this problem over a period of years and then they get mad when hunters want to fix what they have messed up.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:40 AM

i really dont think its a matter of hunters wanting to fix things as much as shooters wanting to shoot things. Just for the record, my cats do not roam at night they are locked up in the barn, 2 in the house, they are all nuetered and spayed, in the day they do roam my property,but dont really travel too far from the barnyard( i'm sure the coyotes have something to do with that).
Old 04-23-2005, 09:01 AM

I do agree with the fact this gives anti-hunters more amunition. I also believe this is a problem in certain areas. I hunt in a very well populated area and am an no time further than 300 yards from a farm most of which have cats running around but there is a big difference between a farm cat and a ferral cat and anyone who has seen a true ferral cat knows what im talking about. I would rather have not seen this law brought to light for one big reason if they defeat this one it makes the anti hunters think than can go after everthing, ie. the morning dove hunting fiasco here a couple of years ago. People should just quitely take care of the problem like they have been doing already and not make a big deal out of passing a law to make it legal to mow over every cat without a collar. I believe this will not pass and we will all be worse off for it ever coming to light, if they wont let us hunt Sandhill Cranes in the state cats will never make it to the list.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:54 PM
Fork Horn

It is open in Iowa as far as I am concerned. The only good cat is a dead cat. I hate cats. Dog lover myself. I have had cats on the farm my whole life. We nuetered them just like we did the dogs.

Actually we would stick them in a rubber boot, tingly's, face first and cut the nuts out like a pig. In the bush they would be a nice target for my Ruger .243 winchester supremes 55gr. Got 4 of those long hairs under my belt one year. We own a thousand acres with a neighboring town. On my land fair game, on state ground fair game. In your yard, or barn, well that is where they belong.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:02 PM

We don’t know how the proposal to lift the feral cat from the endangered species list transformed itself into a battle of the voracious songbird-eating machine on steroids vs. Fluffy in the backyard in Suburbia, but we do know that it has become an emotionally-charged issue for many Wisconsin residents. Since the hearings of the Conservation Congress, the controversy has attracted even more attention and expanded its scope to a national audience.

Because of the vote on April 11th, cat hunting may be one step closer to becoming legal in the state of WI! More than 13,000 people attended the Conservation Congress’ hearings and many actively participated in the lively discussion about the proposal to legalize cat hunting. The results of the vote on question no. 62 favored reclassifying feral cats as an unprotected species by 6,830 yes to 5,201 no votes!

Before the Conservation Congress’ final review of this issue occurs, let everyone know of your position on cat hunting! Buy a T-shirt today for only $20.00** and openly wear your opinion on your shirt! You may purchase a pro-cat hunting shirt at www.catstamp2005.com or an anti-cat hunting shirt at www.nocatstamp.com Don’t forget to tell your friends!
**includes shipping and handling and WI sales tax, when applicable

Old 04-26-2005, 09:33 PM

While I'm not a cat person per se I do like what they can do to the rodent population of the house. But if fluffy were to ever get loose and be run over by a Buick I'd feel bad but not blame the driver. The same should go for the hunter who doesn't want to loose his birds and rabbits to a stray or feral cat. If the peole of Wisconsin want to save fluffy then put a collar with a bell on it or keep fluffy in the yard. It's just that simple.
A true feral cat is a menace to the local small animals and should be eliminated.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:08 AM

Most people who object to hunting cats only do so because they don't truly understand the issue.

To say that they are not feral proves that you don't understand the definition of a feral animal. A feral animal is an animal that was once domestic, but has escaped or was released into the wild and now breeds freely in the wild. However, is not part of the regions natural species composition. The problem is that people are allowing their so called "pets" to run rampant all over the countryside. Cats are NOT a natural part of the ecosystem. They were brought over from europe and have inhabitated an area where they have no natural predators and their prey is not adapted to the predator. With nothing to keep the population of these animals in check, they continue to breed freely and reap havoc on our native populations of birds. Those of you who say who cares about "a few tweety birds", who are you to place a higher value on cats that don't even belong here. For those of you who oppose this proposition, if you really cared about your cats then you would keep them inside and get them fixed! As for controlling the rodents, farmers can find other more effective ways to go about this and to say there isn't any is just being ignorant.

I agree that hunting the cats gives us a bad name and probably isn't the most effective way of going about it. Cat lovers say "we need to find another way" well guess what, the easiest cheapest way is to keep your damn cat inside and get it fixed. However, these supposed cat lovers can't even shoulder that resposibility. I'm from MN where its legal to shoot cats and it hasn't created any problems here so I say yes to hunting cats. Maybe if the proposition passes it will give cat lovers more incentive to keep their animals inside.

Until cat lovers decide take on the responsibility of keeping there cats indoors they have absolutely nothing to say about the issue.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:24 PM
Typical Buck

Yep............If your cat's not at home it better not be anywhere near me when I'm hunting.

I love dogs and have 3 of them. The same goes for dogs. If my dogs out running around killing pheasants and chaseing deer and someone takes car of him.....I guess I deserve that for not keeping my dog home.

I'm not about to get my gear out to go cat hunting but If I see one in the field it's dead meat. And no I'm not going to eat it
Old 05-12-2005, 10:04 PM

I don't care what any of you say. If I see a cat when I'm hunting or out in the timber far away from any houses, it's dead. That's just how much I hate them. I don't mind the tame house cats, but the feral cats, those are the ones I take care of. We used to have about a dozen feral cats on the farm and I had enough of them crapping and messing everything up so I ended up shooting them all, the shed even smells alot better now too. Most of the people who protest these kind of things are city people who don't even know crap about the issues and have too much time on their hands, or are just plain dumb. Just sad how the socieity is becoming these days.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:06 PM

I was just thinking about starting an Outfitting/Guiding service too. Shoot, Oh well. Does anyone know if cat hunting is legal in IL? There are quit a few in the alley behind my house. Some real trophy's too. I'm sure I can guarantee 100% success as I have a sure fire method of hunting them. I bait them with canned tuna, and use my garage as a blind. Just watch through the windows and often get good 15 yard shots which anyone can make with a good high power pellet rifle. I'd even throw in Squirrel's, Possums, and the occasional Raccoon for free. Anyone interested?

Quick Reply: Cat hunting in WI. I voted NO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.