Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

SD Black Hills do it yourself Turkey hunt???

Old 01-30-2005, 04:34 PM

Default SD Black Hills do it yourself Turkey hunt???

I live in Colorado and was thinking of heading north this spring for a turkey hunt in the Black Hills. Is it possible to just head into the public land in the Black Hills and call turkey? Or would I just be spending some nice time in the outdoors with a shotgun in my hand?
Old 01-30-2005, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: SD Black Hills do it yourself Turkey hunt???

My in-laws live in the Hills and I deer hunt there every year. There are tons of turkeys around. I do most of my hunting on public land, and I see turkeys almost every day. It may help that I hunt near private land because there are a few people who feed the turkeys.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:27 PM

I've hunted the hills for Turkey for years. If your just walking around with shot gun in hand instead of hunting thats all you be doing. So get out there and hunt as if you want to shhot a bird . Its not that tough. I've taken a turkey every season that i've hunted in the Hills
Old 02-01-2005, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

Is it better to go earlier or later in the season there?? I hunted around April 28th there last year and had a few opportunities at birds that didn't work out.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:14 PM

I live in the Hills West of Rapid City..............love hunting the Elk and the Turkeys!

The Hills are especially loaded with turkeys this year............I think the late season hunting is more conductive to calling.

come on up!
Old 02-13-2005, 05:02 AM
Fork Horn

You should have no trouble in finding birds from Spearfish to Rapid. Numbers may be down some due to several years of dry conditions but there are plenty there.