Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Official 2004/2005 IL harvest

Old 02-23-2005, 12:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Official 2004/2005 IL harvest

Here's my story. Jumped three does up walking in which I lately found that one of them was hot. The spot I was going to hunt was about 60 yards from where I jumped them. About 3:45 pm a small buck walked about 35 yards from me and went to where the does had been, sniffed around and walked all the way around the little draw/hill top I was perched on. About 20 minutes later a really nice 8 pt. (bigger rack than what I shot that night) followed the path and routine the previous buck did. I had doe in heat scent set up and was using the can but he didn't want anything of it. Then after I lost sight of that buck, I saw another one about 10 minutes later (the one I shot) about 50 yards to the south of me following a doe. I originally thought it was the second buck I had seen but it turned out it wasn't. Anyways, the doe zig zagged her way towards me. When she moved, the buck would move. Then when she'd stand still he'd catch a whiff of my scent canisters and start heading towards them. She'd move again and then he'd follow. She ended up 10 yards out with him right behind. Got to half draw and he looked up at me (I wasn't against the tree like usual, as he came from behind and I had to step out on the edge of the platform). He looked back at her and I came to full draw. Had to shoot over the top of a sapling. The hit was perfect (laterally) but looked a little high. He ran over and down the hill and I saw A LOT of my arrow sticking out so I began to doubt myself....maybe hit him in the shoulder. Got down and looked for blood. Nothing....but I could see where he had ran through the leaves. Got the edge of the hill and found a half of a dime size spot. So I backed off and waited and called my uncle. We got out there about 1.5 hrs later in the dark and basically just happened to stumble across the dead deer. Turns out, that b/c I was so high the hit was perfect, just no exit wound so no blood trail. Sorry for the long post but I get excited telling this story....my first bow buck! Weighed 270 live weight.

Old 02-23-2005, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official 2004/2005 IL harvest

GSPsnFORDs;
Gongrats on a great 1st Bow Buck
What a great looking buck and your 1st bow buck to boot... Way to go

I took this last season my 1st Archery Turkey in the Fall.
I also took this last season a Archery Possum, a Archery 160 lb Doe and a Archery 8 Point Buck.