Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois Deer & Turkey Classic.

Old 01-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Illinois Deer & Turkey Classic.

Whitedogone That deer pic looks like a photo shop job.Or is it the background.Thats a nice deer.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Whitedoggone,
That bottom pic looks like one of those Blowhards you were talking about attending the shows Just kidding, but whacking yote's does sound like a better time.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

im there dude...... on saturday, though
Old 01-07-2005, 08:39 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Bukmastr

Hey Whitedoggone,
That bottom pic looks like one of those Blowhards you were talking about attending the shows Just kidding, but whacking yote's does sound like a better time.

Sure is...and you're right bout the Photoshop job. That deer was shot in firearm season last year a couple of farms over from mine. I had been patterning that guy all fall during bow season. I had seen him 3 or 4 times and had drawn on him once. One day I was in my stand and here comes that buck down a trail hot on a doe. They were heading right toward me. Then the doe slows up and decides to lay down about 60 yds. out! Well the buck layed down right with her. And for the next 5 hours there they lay. I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT!! Talk about a long day...but I wasn't going anywhere because I knew that when they got up they would be heading right toward me. I knew this because there was a large creek right behind me and it was hot that day. I just knew that they would need a drink. Now this is what I'm getting at. Didn't learn that from no seminar or some guy showing off his mount. Nor did I learn that from guy selling the latest scent. I just knew that by knowing the deer and their habits. Just being out there with them in their living room so to speak. I have learned WAY more just being there than I'll ever learn from some other guy who claims to know it all. Not saying I do.... far from it! That's why I keep going into the woods. I learn everytime I'm there. I have spent an incredible amount of time in the woods since my dad took me there when I was old enough to go. That's been some 40 years now. I just hope to go another 40.

Back to the buck story.... after some 5 hours I see the buck raise his head and turn to look back. The doe followed suit. I am thinking here comes another deer.... WRONG... They both jump to thier feet. Down the path they came from here trots a yote! He is heading right for the deer and me! This is not good I'm a thinking. The deer kick it into gear right towards me as I draw. They blow by right under my stand on a full run. I swing but have no shot. Except for....the yote! As he neared my stand I give him a quick whistle...he stopped... and I put one through the boiler room. I never saw that buck after that till the day the guy down the road came tooling up showing him off....said he was going to take him to the Deer and Turkey show. You'll problably see him there. WDO

This is the building where I go to shows in nearly every day for the last 40 years. A couple thousand acres of heaven on earth "behind Grandma's house"

Old 01-09-2005, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

I'll be there on Saturday. WDO......2,000 acres, it must be nice. I never go to really learn anything, but I love the comaraderie of other hunters and to see some of the new stuff. Mostly the heads though. Its simply amazing to see that many nice bucks in one room.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:15 PM

ILL BE THERE...DIDNT MAKE IT LAST YEAR BECAUSE I WAS SICK, BUT I WAS THERE THE YEAR BEFORE AND I LOVED IT...WHEN IM AROUND ANYTHING TO DO WITH HUNTING IM LIKE A KID IN A CANDY STORE...