Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

minn bear hunting?

Old 02-01-2005, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: minn bear hunting?

Iowabuckslayer,

I grew up in Northern MN (Babbitt) and you definitely need to hunt over bait. I know of one local guy (Mike Bissonette) up there who has been outfitting for many years and from what I've heard he does a good job. Don't know him personally but it's such a small town up there and I went to school with his siblings. My brother said that he works hard for the hunters up there and the prices are reasonable. It is beautiful country up there and the people are nice. Great fishing too. Here is a link to a story I found about someone who hunted with him and his phone is at the bottom. If you happen to call just tell him Tim Butler gave you the info and he'll probably know the name...

http://www.strictlybowhunting.com/An...t_mikeb_JN.htm
Old 02-03-2005, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

You don't need to hunt over bait. I have some buddies that hunt over the wheat and corn fields out of a tree stand. It works. They have even done bear-drives through the corn with success.
When I baited the bears took it by day 2. In the right area i think you could get by with a 4 day weekend. Bait your first day, wait a day, bring bait in on day three and hunt it and day 4.
As mentioned, over the counter tags are available in many areas.
Places I would check out would be in North Central/North West parts of the state. I would say from Bemidji west and north. Places like Gully, Trail, Gonvick, Four Town, Grygla, Oklee, Roseau, ect.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry for the delay I have been busy. I hunted both with rifle and bow. And I hunted in area 51 up by Bruno on public land. I have a good site up there saw bear every year. But it was a 7 hour day just to bait every other day. I hope to find someone soon here that I can trust.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

Bear population in Mn is high, I believe in the no-quota area a hunter gets two tags!. Your best bet is through an outfitter or you can hunt public land yourself, baiting is tedious. do your homework, Dr. Nordberg has a great book on bear hunting. I have hunted Nemadjji state forest. Lots of pressure in the south half, not so much in north. Good luck