Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Finally Evidence of cougar in IL.

Old 12-26-2004, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Finally Evidence of cougar in IL.

so can we shoot em and not get in trouble with dnr or consevation if we see them?
Old 12-27-2004, 07:42 AM

From wjhat I have been told since they do not officially exist in Illinois and they are not federally endangered that you can. I am sure if I am wrong someone will correct me quickly but that is what I was told at the bow shop. Since the guy who found the carcass is keepiing it and mounting it I would truely think this is true as when you kill or find an endangered animal in the state there is a mountain of paperwork to do.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

A CPO told me they are considered an alien species and therefore are not covered by any of Illinois' game laws. It is legal to kill one. I have had my hunters on the lookout, but none have seen one.

Only the Florida Panther is endangered and of course they don't range up here.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with what LLbux said,it is legal.I remember reading in outdoor Illinois(a DNR)magazine the same could be said about wid or farrel hogs that have proportedly been spotted in the shawnee a time or two.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

hey llbux, thats about where i hunt, south west of carollton on the WOODY blacktop going towards eldred. very nice area for a big cat
Old 12-31-2004, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

I heard about a cat that was killed in Mcleansboro Il. anyone else heard about this cat it was said to have been about 8 ft. long.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

drstalker, the hogs are there alright, definately there. My buddy shot one last year over at his camp during 2002's 1st shotgun season in Johnson County. Didn't have to put a deer tag on it either like you have to with a darn coyote during shotgun season. Having to put a deer tag on a yote is STUPID!

He saw it out in a field while as we were leaving after lunch to get back to our property and he already had two hanging so he belly crawled quite a distance to get in range and took it.

There was a college student at check station doing a research paper on them in Illinois and asked if we had seen any. We said, "Yes." He asked us to put a mark on his map where we'd seen it. We did and he said, "That's right down the road here." We said, "Sure, couple miles." He asked if we could estimate it's weight, size or sex. We told him, "Why don't you go see for yourself? It's dead." We gave him directions and he was there a short while later. Boy he looked like someone crapped in his Cheerios when he saw it. Like it was his own dog or something.

He took measurements and pictures and all that student stuff. Then our buddy offered to let him try some and he couldn't pass that up so on the fire it went. We shared a few drinks together and tried it. Wasn't anything special to me. Not bad by any means but nothing to write home about either. Course we were all kinda expecting it to be nasty so it had been basted continually with BBQ sauce so the natural taste wasn't exactly there. But the hogs are there alright, definately there.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 01-28-2005, 09:03 PM
Typical Buck

Mat that's an awsome story.I hunt Johnson county too near my brothers home in Goreville and actually thought that I saw one a couple of years back.I have hunted wild hog in florida and tell most that they don't taste anything like one farm raised and store boughtStill not bad but the florida hogs had a strong sulphur taste to them.Probably because of the sulpher spring in many areas.Interesting read Matt.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd love to bag one!

Uncle Matt (in IL)