Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

? about resident KS hunting permits

Old 06-15-2004, 10:07 AM

Default ? about resident KS hunting permits

There is a chance that I will be moving to KS in the next couple months and I have a couple questions about getting my deer hunting permit.

1) Will I have to take an Hunters Saftey course again or will my MO course be valid?

2) Is there a waiting period before I can purchase a resident tag or will I be able to buy one as soon as I move and get my drivers licenese switched over?

I'm sure there are a couple more but I just can't think of them right now.

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ? about resident KS hunting permits

There is no waiting period and your hunters saftey course will work. Heck I've never even been asked for an ID when purchasing a license or permit...
Old 06-15-2004, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Per Ks. state reg. book., "A resident of the state is defined as any person who has maintained the person's place of permanent abode in this state for 60 days immediately preceding the person's application for any license, permit, or other issue of the department. Domiciliary intent is required to establish that a person is maintaining a place of permanent abode in this state"
Unless you are a student or inthe military, the above applys to you.
ANd Kshunter is right, your MO safety card is good in the state of KS.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:14 AM

Thanks guys I really appreciate the info.

I also heard that bowhunters are going to have to pick a unit to hunt in the future instead of being able to hunt in any unit. Is this true?
Old 06-16-2004, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

1. your hunter safety card is good in kansas.

2. the state normally sends out rifle tag apps in late june, i normally receive mine in july.

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/hunting/deerfaq.html
Old 06-16-2004, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Snapper, this is true, we will have unitized bow permits. Terrible desicion any way you look at it. KDWP is making mistake after mistake in the way they're running this state. I've talked to people from KDWP, and this bill was passed so the outfitters could profit from it only. It was snuck through the back door and now we're all starting to realize what happened.[&o]
Old 06-16-2004, 09:22 AM

kshunter,

Is there anything the hunters can do to stop what is happening.

I also heard that the head Wildlife&Parks guy is an outfitter. Seems to me that that person shouldn't be sitting in that position if this is true.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's nothing now that the hunters can do. Just to show how bad the reps in KS were con'd into this and mislead, I think the over-all vote was around 25 for and 2 against. The outfitters have so much power with the KDWP it's not even funny.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:06 PM

To inject a little actual information on the subject:

No. 1
Sec. Hayden did own a percentage in an outfitter business and it was disclosed at the time of appointment and reappointment. He was appointed by a Rep. Governor, and then in the 2nd appointment his divested actions in said outfitting busniess was stated as per public record.

No.2
There was another group that was tired of paying for the majority of the hunting season and getting heavily regulated...Rifle Hunters. In Kansas there were 100,000 + rifle hunters with 13 days to hunt in a state with 3% public land, fighting against the less than 20,000 bowhunters who had 2.5 months afield and the run of the field. Additionally there was found out several KDWP employees were office holders in the KBA and were actually shutting down public ground to rifle hunting, those proposals were fought by me personally and I shut them down. You cannot Rifle or Handgun hunt on any of the US Wildlife areas although these areas allow archery. Go Figure. At Clinton lake almost all areas are shut down to Rifle hunting on account of "Safety" reasons which are as bogus as what was proposed at Cedar Bluff Lake in the Page Creek Area. BTW, Did you know that the person in charge of that decesion is a State Wildlife person, and is employed to also manage the adjacent private ground, giving him about 15 sq. mi. of his own private habitat including offlimits PUBLIC LAND. AND he was the KBA Conservation Officer Last Year????

NO it was not all the outfitters. You will hear that over and over again. But a large amount of resident Rifle hunters just got fed up. One of the reasons the Legislature was so draconian on the KDWP was because of the Large archery influence squeezing out the Rifle hunter. The past game commission had 3 of the 7 members as KBA supporters. Small wonder they kept cutting access for rifle hunters. The Legislature I have on good authority passed such laws to smoke out the knuckle heads.

Lastly, the Mule Deer issus IS NOT over yet. KDWP again cut back on the Any Buck tag for rifles...but did not limit archery to either whitetail or mule deer. The tag was unconstitutional for issuance. In order to have Non-resident unit specific, you have to have resident unit specific. There is no reason why any hunter would have a problem with selecting a specific Unit to assist in mamagement of the deer herd. There is a greedy bunch that wants to save all the bucks for themselves.

Look at the trend for success rates and harvested bucks in the state of Kansas. You will see a major decrease in resident Rifle success rate and a drastic reduction in buck harvested by rifle, while resident archery success rates rose, and buck harvest rates stayed steady at 76-80% bucks harvested, the rest being does.

So don't believe everything you hear on the board or gossip. You want the answers, ask for a public records release. I DID. and that information made it to the legislature.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:30 PM

There are some other changes you may not be aware of.

There is NO MINIMUM draw weight requirement in the state of Kansas either. No isn't that just great?

The requirement for the Safe Hunting certificat has changed as well. I M not sure when it goes in effect, but you can pay a few extra dollars and then hunt.

This was brought about to reform the Hunter Ed. program in Kansas as well. You could not become an instructor because of a good old boys arrangement. Seems you had to be an archery hunter affiliated with IBEF or KBA or you would not be allowed to become a Hunter Safety instructor.

As far as I M concerned the archery crowd in Kansas has little to bitch about. They got what they deserved. They put alot of people over the barrel and when fought they claimed we were "anti-hunting". What BS! It is true, things will never be the same for archery hunters in Kansas, but they will get better for 5-6 times as many gun hunters in the next few years. I was only a small part of the push. However it was not the outfitters!! The influence in KDWP has changed from KBA to Outfitters because they have more money. Most of the proposals originated in the KDWP, and not at Sec. Hayden's doorstep, but classified employees who used to be affiliated with KBA.

So in the end KBA got sold out by their own people within the KDWP. LOL

BTW, the largest group against allowing non-resident access to permits historically was not the outfitters, but Kansas Bowhunters. That's why it has been so hard for non-residents to hunt in Kansas. They once had a voice, but it has been confronted, and those that were with it sold themselves out and KBA.

Quick Reply: ? about resident KS hunting permits

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.