Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

SD west river deer hunting

Old 11-10-2003, 09:49 PM

Default SD west river deer hunting

how did everyone else do this past wkend west river deer hunting?out of four of us we filled two tags one nice 4x4 and a nice mature doe. other than that they were kinda moving at wierd times. not a whole lot right at first light or at last. just speratick. just wondering about the rest of you
Old 11-10-2003, 09:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: SD west river deer hunting

I' m from East river SD, I always heard it is terribly terribly hard to obtain permission to hunt land west river? is that true?
Old 11-11-2003, 05:12 PM

where are ya from in east river, im from garretson, we hunt all public land. iver heard that too, i guess it really depends. like for antelope we havent had a problem with getting permission but with deer kinda had a rough time.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:27 PM
Fork Horn

I live by Aberdeen.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

Well to start things out heres how opening day of west river happened to me.
We were hunting the southern unit in Harding county on private land, but it seemed like public with two groups of ten or so guys roaming around the place. I set up over looking some open area. Not expecting to see much as I didn' t know where the exact property lines were, I watched several mule deer. All of a sudden I look below me and here is a whitetail buck. I whistle and notice he has good width and is tall. So I get him in the scope and fire a shot. He took off running through some trees and out another opening where I shot again, then as he was going over a hill I shot again in frustration. Disappointed with missing I hear my dad shoot. He was set up on a rock overlooking the area below and was a couple hundred yards up the draw from me. As he heard me shoot he saw the deer running and was below him as it slowed to a stop where he took a shot. The deer turned and went down into a draw. So I radio to my dad and he is gonna wait before looking for blood. After I work my way to him I see him smiling and holding his hands out to show that hes a good one. Here lies a 5x6 whitetail that grosses 151. Needless to say I was disappointed.
I was unable to hunt during the weeks for football and school. I wasn' t able to hunt the second weekend either as we were headed to the dome for state (which by the way we won 21-7, Im from spearfish) So this past weekend I went out on saturday and didnt see much. Finally I came across a buck and took a shot but missed. On the last day I finally connected with a 4x4. In conclusion the season was very disappointing as I missed a monster, and missed another, and finally shot the smallest one. But It was fun.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

big buck shooter.......isn' t it illegal to use two-way radios when deer hunting?

yeah I was at the game at the dome, what position do you play? if mehloff would of been having a good day he would of made a few of them fieldgoals and you would of been in trouble, oh yeah and it wouldn' t hurt if there recievers could catch.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

Radios are illegal when used to persue deer. This was simply a " did you get him"
I play wide receiver, the one who scored the 73 yarder, oh and the two interceptions and before you say it, yea maybe I got lucky intercepting them. How could you have a bad day in the dome. I found it much easier to kick in there. If you ask me maybe he was nervous. Don' t come up with excuses when we dominated all aspects of that game. I did find it funny that they had shirts made out that said state champions....someone messed up on that one. I guess we found out who was the true champion that game. So do you have more excuses to give me? I' m ready to hear them.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:27 PM

radios are illegal to have no matter what the use is, it is illegal to have them on while in the field hunting, as well as having your cell phone turned on it is illegal no matter what. even if it is just to ask if he got it.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:52 AM

I just looked it up in the hunting handbook. The official rule on radios and cell phones is that they are legal to use when in the field, however you cannot use them if you are in, on, or near a vehicle that could be used to chase an animal. It makes sense to me that they are OK if you are talking hunter to hunter to see where each other is, could avoid an accident.

Mark
Old 12-02-2003, 09:51 PM

i always heard that they were illegal to use no matter what.

Quick Reply: SD west river deer hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.