Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Missouri Predator Hunt

Old 01-26-2012, 09:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Missouri Predator Hunt

Does anybody here predator hunt south/south central Missouri? I am mainly looking for bobcats, fox and coyote. I have an okay call but plan on getting a cottontail in distress call. I'm going to a private farm outside of Owensville, Missouri (Gasconade County). It isn't pressure for any sort of hunting but not very taken care of (i.e. no clover, food plots, etc.) but some parts are thick woods and others are open field. Is it better to hunt in the morning this time of year or night? Any tips? thanks!
Old 01-29-2012, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

MW--Best have some firepower with you. Cougars have come to MO and they are certainly large enough to make life unpleasant. They may be attracted by a distress call.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Jenks
MW--Best have some firepower with you. Cougars have come to MO and they are certainly large enough to make life unpleasant. They may be attracted by a distress call.
lol oh yea, I'm prepared when it comes to the firepower haha I am using my Marlin 3030 or my ak47 and my remington 870 20 gauge. I was doing research and it seems like this year Missouri has had alot of mountain lion sightings. One was actually sighted in the county I will be hunting in...I hope we don't run into eachother honestly. They freak me out.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:02 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by mw_Guerilla
Does anybody here predator hunt south/south central Missouri? I am mainly looking for bobcats, fox and coyote. I have an okay call but plan on getting a cottontail in distress call. I'm going to a private farm outside of Owensville, Missouri (Gasconade County). It isn't pressure for any sort of hunting but not very taken care of (i.e. no clover, food plots, etc.) but some parts are thick woods and others are open field. Is it better to hunt in the morning this time of year or night? Any tips? thanks!
I don't get to go out much anymore, but my son likes to go out and be set up by daybreak. He has called in bobcat and coyotes here in Benton co mo. Late evening is another good time to go out.
I think its against the law here to spotlight, so I would check before hunting at night.
About mountain lions, I had one in my front yard last year trying to catch a canadian goose, so if they will eat a goose they will kill and eat most anything.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by blugrass
I don't get to go out much anymore, but my son likes to go out and be set up by daybreak. He has called in bobcat and coyotes here in Benton co mo. Late evening is another good time to go out.
I think its against the law here to spotlight, so I would check before hunting at night.
About mountain lions, I had one in my front yard last year trying to catch a canadian goose, so if they will eat a goose they will kill and eat most anything.
yea, no artificial lights are allowed in Missouri. thanks! I am planning on getting out there around 5pm until 11 or midnight. Then back out around 430-5am and hunting until around 11am or so.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

didn't have any luck with the coyotes, or anything else for that matter. but...did see and hear a ton of turkey. CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS SPRING!