Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Bow hunting turkeys???

Old 08-07-2003, 07:40 PM
CJW

Default Bow hunting turkeys???

Do any of you buy turkey tags so you have the option of shooting a turkey while deer hunting??? I have alot of turkeys where I deer hunt and have a good chance of getting a turkey.

CJW
Old 08-08-2003, 07:01 AM

Default RE: Bow hunting turkeys???

very tough thing to do is take a fall bird with a bow, even for the most experianed
bow hunter, I have killed one fall bird, that had he not jumped the string,
wouldn' t have got him, i have missed a couple clean though, I would have to say
that for every 10 birds that get hit by an arrow, maybe only 1 or 2 go home with
the hunter, the rest will die a slow death, as a result of there wound, i persoanly
am kind of torn on how i feel about archery turkey, because i love spring gobbler
so much, but i do realize alot of people hit them, and get a pile of feather' s and
just think the bird is going to be just fine, hum, not th caes in the real world,
Old 08-08-2003, 01:06 PM

I went down to Missouri last year for bow season and purchased an out of state permit. I was shocked when the computer just kept printing out permit after permit. I ended up getting 2 deer permits and 2 turkey permits for the $120 out of state fee. I thought that was a heck of a deal.
I wound up not filling any of them, but I did come about 10 seconds from drawing on a very large tom at about 25 yards. If he' d have moved about 3 feet to my left, he would have had a piece of carbon comin at him!! Oh well---only a few more weeks to go ' til I go at it again!!

g
Old 08-08-2003, 01:09 PM
Typical Buck

turkeys are a tough target with the bow,and if I do shoot in the fall it' s at a hen,leave the toms for the spring
Old 08-08-2003, 06:17 PM

dvd, I do the same thing, if my bow hunting is done of course, and try to take a
hen, or juvenial bird, with the hopes of being rewarded in the spring I personaly know alot of guys that are very sucsesful on fall long beards, but cant
kill a spring bird if there kife depended on it, it' s funny how that works, I probably
have about 30 or 40 spring birds about 20 or so adult gobblers, in the last 20
years or so, and still have not mounted a bird, plan on doing it one year, if my
wife will let me, but i know a guy thats got 2 fall gobblers, long beards, 2 year old birds, kind of average, but he' s got them in his living room full strut, just think thats very odd, especially since he' s never killed an adult gobbler in the spring,
oh well, to each his own
Old 08-09-2003, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

Norsemen,I agree anyone can killum in the fall at random if they are walking by your stand,but the fun and passion is spring huntin and playing that game of chess with a gobblin tom.I have a nice mature bird mounted gobblin on the roost,was 1st mature bird I ever killed many years back,and is still one of the highlights of my trophy room.If you do get one and want a mount contact me we are in the same general area ,this guy is great at turkeys he was won best in show at NWTF a few times.As amatter of fact if you do make it to rochester gander mountain he has some work on diplay