Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

any michigan hunters here

Old 08-12-2003, 07:14 AM

Default RE: any michigan hunters here

I hunt a 500 acre farm in Chippewa county and we have good numbers but the buck to doe ratio is way out of balance for our area I would say close 1 buck for every 10 does.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:01 PM

Default Graodo

I' ve seen a whole lot of deer off of airport Rd, heading toward West Branch. But the area is way too populated during the rifle hunt for me. Bow hunting is great in the area though. North on F-97 in the old Oryx oil and gas fields is another good spot. I' ve also seen a lot of deer activity off of Geels Rd. But your best area is in the swamp off the left side of the road. It' s hard to get into it but it holds quite a lot of nice deer.
When the rifle season is on the swamps is the place to be. The real trouble I' ve found out after 30yrs. of hunting St. Helen. When your scouting this time of the year, and find a hot spot, usually someone else has found it too. Hey good luck scouting, and I hope you nail a good one this year.

Coyote Caller
Old 08-15-2003, 01:32 PM

I got thinking about why no deer around stanwood and big rapids. The dam amish!!!! We have had lots of deer until amish started moving in. They shoot all year round. One guy i know, went by amish on opening day (nov. 15), they have 20 some deer hanging. This was 3 years ago, now they can' t get nothing either (lmao) Is that Bull crap or WHAT!!![:@] We have numerous families of amish around here. So you can figure, it takes a big toll on the deer herd. I guess i need new spot, sucks, cause everything locally is pretty much bad hunting. If you go south or north east west, they have a lot more deer. Just our area, it almost seems. I can go 30 minutes to lakeview area, tons of deer!!!, but i don' t know anyone there to hunt. Deer hunting roles around, i let ya know if i get something. Good luck, mike
Old 08-20-2003, 10:53 AM

I live and hunt in houghton county in Upper Michigan deer numbers are pretty good here even though the winter hung on a little longer than normal. But there are still quite a few big BUCKS!!