Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Deer Hunting Tactics...

Old 07-16-2003, 01:30 PM

Default Deer Hunting Tactics...

I have just received my first Illinois deer permit, but my dad did not so that is a bummer. As a frist timer in the deer woods, does anyone have any " tricks" or " tactics" they would recommened using. For those who are in Illinois, I was granted an either sex permit at the Medwine National Tallgrass Prairie. One of their rules is that you have to be within a 50 yard radius of your assigned area. So, I think I am pretty much going to be sitting in one place.

Truely a Fawn....
Eric
Old 07-16-2003, 09:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer Hunting Tactics...

Eric,

Go to ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES page. When it comes up, Put the cursor on PARKS & LODGES and several options will appear to the right, look for CONSERVATION AREAS and click it. Somemore options will then be available in a blue box, click on HUNTING. Then select REGION 2 and finally find Midewin. All the info you need is right there. I recommend that you read it ALL, probobly several times and take notes. There' s lots of little things required at the Midewin site like the walk in and out procedures, daily fees, etc....

It is a good area with some fine bucks (and does) for those who have patience. In all seriousness, if I were to be there I would sit tight ALL DAY and hope other guys get things moving for you by their movements.

Good luck.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 07-21-2003, 02:56 PM

Not at all familiar with IL or the area you are asking about but two things every hunter should do are:

Scout the area. Get out there long before season several times and learn the area, the deer paterns and learn deer sign. Pick a couple spots to take your stand for several different wind conditions or anything else that could interfer with your intial plan.

Practice with your weapon. Make sure it is in perfect working order. Ensure it is accurate. Sight it in and get extremely comfortable with the weapon you will be using far in advance of the season.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

Medewin is a GREAT piece of land to hunt, and I' m jelous you got a tag their. I was issued a refund. I would say scout it out and figure out where you will sit. There a quite a few parking spots. Make sure you know where you want to hunt, and also have a back up plan. It' s tough to find your stand site early in the morning out there. I would have at least three places in mind before you go out there. That way, if someone is there before you and signed into your spot then you not up @#%^ creek. It' s not uncommon for guys to get there at 3A.M to get the area they want. They will just wait in the lot until legal sign in time. I' ve seen it and done it!!!!!!! When you get in your stand....stay there!!!!! Stay morning till night!!!!!! Lots of people will leave too early. By Gun season those deer figure the hunters out. I' ve seen lots of deer start moving around noon out there. They figure out the hunters movements. Congrats on the tag, and good luck when season rolls around. Also, bring some good binoculars. I believe i is a 5 point on one side minimum out there. Trust me, there are plenty deer out there that qualify!!!!!!!!!!

Justhrowit
Old 07-22-2003, 11:24 AM

Justhrowit,

I have been to the website for Medewin a few times, and I think the scouting season opens up on 9/1/03. Should give me plenty of time to do some leg work. I have also orderd a 1;15,000 topo map of the area which is alotted to hunting. I think I can order aireal photo graphs of the area that are at a 1:5000 scale. I think that will help with planing locals. This being my first year in the deer woods, i do not think i will be hunting from a stand, but instead from a seated position on the ground. Unless Medewin has stands at the marked posts already. Anything else I should keep in mind?

EJ
Old 07-22-2003, 01:25 PM

One more thing I forgot to ask. What would people recommeend for a first timer. A rifled choke tube that runs about $20-$45, or buying a scope and a rifled barrel which will run about $350 on up. Right now I am leaning toward a rifled choke tube.

Eric
Old 07-22-2003, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

Well,

Medewin does not have stands out there. I always bring my Summit Climber out there with me. Only problem with the ground, is the prairie grass can get tall, and you cant see over it many times. Also, while in the timber, alot of it is really thick. On to your next question. If I were you, I would get the riffled chike tube and save the money. Use the money you saved on the scope and rifled barrel and get yourself a climbing tree stand!!!!!! Check out Summitstands.com Cant go wrong!!!!!

Good luck out there.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Get a pop up blind and a folding stool or chair to sit on , this will keep your eyes above the grass line . Set up about 20 yds into the thick stuff near a well traveled edge , deer love edges especially where a transition zone occurs(think bass fishing) . If possible , select a spot halfway between food and cover areas with good trails to maximize traffic .
Old 08-07-2003, 09:49 AM

I was looking at the pop up blinds the other day in the bass pro catolog as well as cabelas. I saw one the was more of a ground blind than anything not really a pop up hut/tent. They run about $20.00, so that is not too bad. Thanks for the idea.

Now for my next question. If I am lucky enough to harvest a deer, what are some idea' s on field dressing.

Regards,
Eric
Old 08-13-2003, 11:46 AM
Dominant Buck

EJDoane .
you can get a great pop-up blind from sportsmansguide.com for $49 . Ameristep makes it in 2 models , Outhouse and Doghouse . The Doghouse is $69 . Those $20 blinds are too low since they are made for turkey hunters . I have one that I still use occasionally when I want to pack extra light , they won' t work in tall grass .

Quick Reply: Deer Hunting Tactics...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.