Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

illinios tags

Old 07-15-2003, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default illinios tags

hey hey hey made the draw for illinios shotgun tags
Old 07-16-2003, 08:23 AM

Default RE: illinios tags

I did as well. [8D] Has anyone ever hunted at the Medwine National Tallgrass Prairie? That' s were I get to go.

Regards,
Eric
Old 07-16-2003, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

We got ours issued (according to the DNR website system) and I put in for another bonus tag. Wish me luck for the extra tag!

Johnson County.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 07-16-2003, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

luck to you matt i also put in for another bonus tag
Old 07-18-2003, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

I' ve hunted Medewine Tall Grass Quite a bit. Lots of changes going on around there however. There is thousands of acres out there. 19000 of which we can not hunt. Hunters have been gathering together trying to get thewm to open this land up. The land we can use, they have been clear cutting a lot of it to make it all prairie.

However, overall it' s a great public land hunting area. I hunted there last year 5 times. I hunt out of parking lot 3. Everytime I went out I saw deer. I went out last Thanksgiving and saw a monster buck. About a 150" 10 point walked across me at 80 yards. Too bad I did' nt have my bow sighted in for that distance

There is all sorts of good hunting out there. There is also DesPlaines Conservation district, which borders Medewin. I' ve heard the best out there is the Joliet Training Area. I' ve never hutned it, but a guy I work with hunts there, and sees big bucks there every year. I think he said 7 deer over 160" were taken out of there last season. A biologists runs it, and does a great job with QDM. You also have to test with your bow in order to get aq tag there. He only hands out a limited number. Back to Medewin. Great place to hunt. I wish they would open up the 19000 acres though. There are deer over 200" in there. Every once in while they wander out to the hunting areas. The guy I work with saw a monster over 200 last year. He got it on film before season started. It was mighty impressive. His horns were heavly palmated. Looked like a damn moose. He saw the deer one more time during the first week of bow season. Said he was standing there at 100 yards. The film was impressive, would have liked to see him in person. I' d recommend hunting it. Great land. We just have to get the Anti' s who run the place out of there. They want it to be a wildlife haven. Yet they clearcut a lot of trees. Thats not really productive for the wildlife expecially the deer. Anyway, hope I helped.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:48 AM
Typical Buck

EJ.....P.S, your a lucky individual on getting a shot gun tag out at Medewin. I' ve tried for the last four years with no luck at all!!!! Good luck out there.

justhrowit
Old 07-18-2003, 08:43 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

justhrowit,

You mentioned the name " Joliet Training Area" . Is that the formal name of it? I don' t see anything of that name in my old regs. I have been by Midewin and DesPlaines CA. Been hunting Iowa & Kansas the last few years, but have an Illinois tag this year. Drew a special NR bowhunt at JEPC Oct. 31-Nov. 7, but would like to try Midewin or some other Joliet area CA if I get some time. If they don' t require an archery draw. So I' m curious about this Joliet Training Area. Thanks.

Old 07-18-2003, 11:55 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

OK - I located the area you mention on the north end of Midewin. It looks to be only 1/4 square mile. Very small but very restricted: No weekend hunting; Must take your treestand out daily; sign in daily; Only 5 hunters per day, etc. Sounds like my type of place. I hope to scout it early September. Not too far a drive for me. I' m just over the line in Indiana, an hour away.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:18 AM

All, I have done some upland game hunting at the JTA, Joiliet Training Area. This area is run by the United States Army out of Fort. McCoy in Wisconsin. It is larger that a 1/4 square mile. For bow hunting you must pass the quailifications set forth by the area biologist. I am not sure how many archery permits are available, but I do know there are 100 shotgun permits that have been given out already. There is a lottery involved with getting a deer permint at the JTA. It is best to think of this area as a " private" are to hunt. In that it sets forth its own hunting regs, beyond those the state of Illinois has in place. If you are interested in finding out more infromation I would recommened contacting Ft. McCoy, and they should be able to help you.

Eric
Old 07-21-2003, 11:23 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Eric,

I called over there. This JTA is a military property that borders around the 1/4 x 1/4 mile area that is managed by Midewin. All the gun and archery spots are taken for 2003, but it is interesting to know for the future. This small 1/4 square mile area is open to bowhunting only. That is where I can still get a chance to hunt this year. Their regulations have not even come out yet, but I put myself on the mailing list. I like all these restrictions and I hope to hunt several places on Midewin this year. Next year I' ll apply for JTA.

Ken