Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Question for WI Bowhunters

Old 07-06-2003, 10:16 AM
TJD
Fork Horn

Default Question for WI Bowhunters

A couple of rather lengthy threads on the " Bowhunting Forum" got me thinking about this one.

Currently, crossbows are allowed during archery season in something like 5 states (I know Ohio does, but I am uncertain as to the others.). A crossbow can only be used in the WI archery season by someone who is handicapped.

So, Wisconsin bowhunters, what do you think?

Should crossbows be allowed during the Wisconsin bow season? Why or why not?
Old 07-06-2003, 10:50 AM
nub

Default RE: Question for WI Bowhunters

I guess I would just as soon have it stay the way it is now. Only for elderly and disabled. I have a couple friends from Ontario who shoot them. One practices religiously, the other does not. I don' t see any advantage in them over a compound. Too many will just pick them up every year and go hunting without knowing their limitations.
Old 07-06-2003, 05:30 PM

IMO, crossbows are not as effective as compounds. I have hunted in OH and spoke to fellows who use them and some who switched to compounds after using them. They loose a lot of deer due to poor hits as a result of lack of practice and limited range. With the short light bolt there is not the KE of a compound regardless of the heavy poundage on the labels.
I have no problem with some one who is diabled using one if he/she can not truely draw a compound but I would not want to see the state open it up across the board. I believe that would attact some lazy hunters who otherwise would have no intention of bowhunting.
About the only ones to gain from a change in the law are the people who sell crossbows.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:09 PM

no i don' t think they should it would make it too easy and take the fun out of bowhunting.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:51 AM

Well I think that that is no PROBLEM. If you ARE handicap and are over age 65 You dont " NEED" to use a crossbow. Its jus an option. I mean cmon when we get that old and cant hold a bow worth shi* we' d be using a cross bow also.
I believe that there is nothing wrong with the handicap and elders using there as substitute bows. [:-]
Old 07-11-2003, 08:48 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-25-2003, 09:29 AM

I like it just the way it is. It gives elderly or the handicapped a chance to enjoy what many of us take for granted.

A few years ago, a guy I worked with lost his leg due to bad circulation. So not only having to stop his career, a lot of outdoors activities were seized in his mind. He was very depressed to the point where suicide became a concern. A bunch of us at work, pitched in and bought him a crossbow with the all bells and whistles. It got him back in the woods. He shot a couple deer with it. After getting accustomed to his new leg, he went back to his compound and continues to hunt with the compound today. I truly believe this opportunity saved his life as well as his mental being.

I see no reason why someone other than the elderly or the handicapped should be allowed to use the crossbow.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:59 AM

I have no prob with the elderly and handicapped using them. I would not, however, like to see the general population use them. I would be afraid that the next generation of " bowhunters" would see them as an easier way to take a deer and not learn how to properly bowhunt. I also feel that they would be abused...people would take longer and longer shots, wounding more game in the process.
Old 07-25-2003, 03:56 PM

I would tend to beleive that too many people, without proper training, would take too many " risk" shots, thinking that this new fangled toy is like a rifle.

My vote...no.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:40 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

I have to agree with the " no crossbows" statements I' ve seen. Like many, I agree that exceptions should be made for handicapped hunters.

I still cringe when I see the arguments made that bows with let-off higher than 65% are " just like crossbows" and should therefore be treated as such. My own feeling is that such an argument is utter nonsense.