Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

looking for a new lease in S. central to S. east Ohio

Old 12-23-2009, 05:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default looking for a new lease in S. central to S. east Ohio

looking for a lease in SW or Central ohio for my father and myself. Wanting to locate land capable of being managed for large buck. meaning- little pressure on surrounding land and preferrably an area where QDMA is currently being implemented by others. Any help would be appreciated, I'll send my contact info to whoever can help me out. Thanks,
Zack
Old 12-23-2009, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

GOOD LUCK...you and half the east coast are in the same line, five years ago you could have done it, but today I have my doubts unless you willing to get into some serious serious amounts of cash..the outfitters, loca guides, out of staters in general have taken their toll in that area of the state..$30-75 an ACRE is not uncommon for the super areas and even more in some special cases...I'd wait a little and see what happens to the out of staters..there's some major grumbling going on over what's happened to most of the state and I think the ODNR may half to listen this time.. it's gotten about as bad as it can get and the local yocals are getting vocal!!!!! I look for some big changes which could open up some lands.........
Old 12-23-2009, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Frank in the Laurel
GOOD LUCK...you and half the east coast are in the same line, five years ago you could have done it, but today I have my doubts unless you willing to get into some serious serious amounts of cash..the outfitters, loca guides, out of staters in general have taken their toll in that area of the state..$30-75 an ACRE is not uncommon for the super areas and even more in some special cases...I'd wait a little and see what happens to the out of staters..there's some major grumbling going on over what's happened to most of the state and I think the ODNR may half to listen this time.. it's gotten about as bad as it can get and the local yocals are getting vocal!!!!! I look for some big changes which could open up some lands.........
30-75 per acre???? I dont know if its running that high, check out basecampleasing.com. But it is getting high, and farmers are turning a "everyone can hunt our land" into a $2,000 per 100 arce lease. If your farm is struggling, and you have 2,000 arces you have a potiental of leasing it out for $40,000 per year. Good money if you ask me.

I grew up in Ohio and lived there 22 years, I live in Missouri now. I would have to say that Ohio is VERY generous to out of staters. I would like to see the state charge more for out of staters, maybe a 1.5x for License and a 2x or a 2.5x for tags.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

We are currently leasing a property for $25 an acre. The land is awesome and laid out perfectly except the hunting pressure we have seen this year was ridiculous. We were told That area of ohio had little hunting pressure. The guys on the adjoining property drove out the boundary line 2 days straight. I guess the best we can do is what we currently are doing but we do not have enough acreage to manage the deer the way it needs to be managed in order to grow the quality buck we hunt in Ohio for. It's still better than Pa, at least we see deer every time we go out. I am still interested in land in that area and if something comes up we will drop this lease and get on another one.