Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

FOID sucks

Old 09-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

I do not respect FOID cards. They are unconstitutional.

I have seen CO's that agree with me, and don't even care if your FOID is expired if checked. I even saw first hand multiple police officers fail to enforce the law regarding handling a firearm without one. I even argued with them and none of the 3 would do a dam thing. And they want me to respect that "law". Really?

I would not hesitate to blow it off and go hunting with an expired one, in a New York minute.

What they did to Tank Johnson due to that was total BS only due to his high profile. The same cops refused to enforce it in my hood.

Respect is something that is earned.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Alright as this thread is being revisited I will throw in a few comments addressing some of the posts here. Starting with the most recent.

Zim i am suprised at you and your suggestion to go hunting with an expired FOID in a New York minute. I can tell you that I know quite a few ISP CPOs and if they catch you w/o or expired you will find yourself in some real deep trouble. And it is exactly the kind of trouble that would prevent you from ever getting an FOID at anytime in the future. W/o an FOID you are subject to IUW and I have never personally seen anyone charged IUW as a misdemeanor so it would be a felony charge. And that would cut any future FOID right out.....

(430 ILCS 65/8) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-8)
Sec. 8. The Department of State Police has authority to deny an application for or to revoke and seize a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued under this Act only if the Department finds that the applicant or the person to whom such card was issued is or was at the time of issuance:
(a) A person under 21 years of age who has been convicted of a misdemeanor other than a traffic offense or adjudged delinquent;
(b) A person under 21 years of age who does not have the written consent of his parent or guardian to acquire and possess firearms and firearm ammunition, or whose parent or guardian has revoked such written consent, or where such parent or guardian does not qualify to have a Firearm Owner's Identification Card;
(c) A person convicted of a felony under the laws of this or any other jurisdiction;

Matt in IL. You said..... "Not trying to be the bad guy here, but it's your own fault. You should have known you card was going to expire close to hunting. You should have done the renewal long ago. Yeah the system sucks, but you waited till the last minute and now blame them...."

Well it is my belief that we are pretty much responsible for knowing when things are going to expire. And that would be all fine and dandy in a simple sense except these days there is just so darn much stuff expiring it is hard to keep tabs on it all!

Actually a good bit of the blame does fall right on ISPs FOID section......
(430 ILCS 65/13.2)
Sec. 13.2. The Department of State Police shall, 60 days prior to the expiration of a Firearm Owner's Identification Card, forward by first class mail to each person whose card is to expire a notification of the expiration of the card and an application which may be used to apply for renewal of the card. It is the obligation of the holder of a Firearm Owner's Identification Card to notify the Department of State Police of any address change since the issuance of the Firearm Owner's Identification Card.
(Source: P.A. 91-690, eff. 4-13-00.)

I don't know of anyone who has received a 60 day notification in I would say like 10 years. So ISP FOID sec has been in violation of the statute for a long, long time. Do they have some culpability and are they somewhat responsible for people not being able to get their FOIDs renewed in a reasonable time frame? Heck yeah they have! It has an undeniable pattern and ISP has known this for a long time and had done nothing to remedy the situation until recently. That knowledge of not complying, not moving to correct it and essentially goes to conspiracy. But to get to the point (i.e. Zim) I certainly wouldn't want to argue that point myself with a CPO in the field or thru an attorney in front of a judge.

ISPs reaction at this point has been to basically and finally admit that with the staffing of the FOID section they obviously have not been able to keep up with renewals and new applications and for no reason would anyone believe that they would be able to in the future. The re will be no increase in the budget to increase manpower so they went to what seems like the right solution for the situation by going to a 10 year card. Mine is good for another 7 years and I will be by then the fee will be ALOT more.

Final word: Before they went to a 10 year card FOIDs did not expire on your birthday. But for crying out loud when they went to a 10 year card they should have had expiration on your birthday.

Last edited by uncle matt; 09-02-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Uncle Matt,

Kindly do not put words in my mouth.

You said "Zim i am suprised at you and your suggestion to go hunting with an expired FOID in a New York minute. "

This is what I posted - "I would not hesitate to blow it off and go hunting with an expired one, in a New York minute."

What part of the word "I" don't you understand?

As I stated. Respect is something you earn. This is a FACT - I have seen CO's that agree with me, and don't even care if your FOID is expired if checked. I even saw first hand multiple police officers fail to enforce the law regarding handling a firearm without one. I even argued with them and none of the 3 would do a dam thing. And they want me to respect that "law". Really? - Once again, these are facts. If anyone ever tried to hassle me about an expired FOID card I would threaten to make 3 police officer's lives miserable for failing to enforce FOID laws, and they would excuse what I did in a New York minute to get off the hook. Been there done that. Everyone wants to settle out of court, and go get their donuts.

I personally simply have no respect for an unconstitutional law.

If you believe this "law" is constitutional, please explain how.

I have no respect for 95% of attorneys nor legislators. 95% of them have prioreties of their own pensions, bribes, kickbacks, career advancement before doing what is right or wrong. Those assigned to enforcing this unconstitutional "law" have their pensions and donuts ahead on their priorety lists. The only good thing attorneys have done to me is prevent me from ever having to spend time on a jury. Once the opposing councels hear the truth about my experiences I am abruptly dismissed from serving. That is what the truth results in. They don't want the truth.

My Experience is personal, and what I would do in a New York minute is personal. I did not tell anyone to do anything. So once again, please don't put words in my mouth. I have had enough lyin *** attorneys do that to me already.

Last edited by Zim; 09-03-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally think the FOID system is horrible. I think the cards are needed but there needs to be a much simple way. The state is making budget cuts all the time and unfortunately FOID is one that was hit. Its been a couple years since my renewal and I sent it in when I got the notice in the mail. After a month and a half I called in and they informed me that the application was processed the day after my Drivers license expired and I renewed it the day after they processed it. I was lucky because the guy at FOID called me back and informed me of what happened and that he would reprocess it immediately. I had my FOID a week after that.

I've hunted with a bunch of Chicago Cops and they say if they pulled you over in Chicago with a shotgun/rifle and had all your hunting gear and didn't look like a thug they would send you on your way with no problems. The first time I hunted with these guys I was meeting them in the city and was worried about having my gun. They laughed and said the cops know if your using your gun for hunting or if its for illegal use and if its hunting they don't want you to get in trouble. They don't even check for FOIDs. I personally don't keep my guns in the city so it doesn't bother me but thought it was interesting how they described it.

Has anyone ever been checked for a FOID other than buying a gun/ammo? I've never been checked in the field for it. I've asked a couple CPO's in the past about checking FOIDs and they said as long as you have your proper licenses and have permission to hunt the land your on they don't want to deal with it. I was told that if your application has been processed and have been given a FOID but haven't received it yet its a simple call that a CPO can make to check and if you have one on record you should be all set.

I'm sure there are plenty of CPOs out there that check FOIDs but I've yet to see one that does. I would make sure to always photocopy your FOID and keep it on file just in case you do lose it. It will definetly help to have at least a photocopy in a bind.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

^^^ Ditto to fastetti's statements on enforcement experiences ^^^

I have heard the same thing about getting checked during processing, and being OKed.

And as mentioned, to the extreme of where I demanded 3 cops to enforce regulations with regard to a 3rd party who admitted the violation, and all 3 cops REFUSED to even check the suspect (who admitted to them they had no FOID card)...........much less enforce it. I promptly got on the phone with Springfield ILDNR law enforcement, described the incident, and they told me it was a clear violation and should be enforced. Gave the phone to the police, who blew it off. So there you have it.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

My apologies to you Zim. I misinterpreted your post.