Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Find private land

Old 07-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Spike

Default Find private land

I have been hunting public land since I was a kid. I want to step up my hunting success and find some private land. The problem is I live in the city (MN) and don't know any farmers or public land owners. Does anyone have suggestions on how I could go about finding some private land owners to work with?
Old 07-22-2009, 01:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

For the county that you intend to hunt, get yourself a plat book. They should be available at th ecounty clerk's office. It is a map of the country listing all the land parcels and who owns them. Go find some likely looking spots and go knocking on doors. Even around cities there are good hunting spots that the owners just need to be asked.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:56 AM

Go to the nearest deer processor and talk with them, i've found a number of private leases that way. If they don't know of any leave them your phone #. Also find your the county in your state that produces the best deer and hit a few farms in the area, with farmers you need to do something for them, we repaired a washed out road for one farmer and hunted there for 6 yrs free it took a piece a rental equipment and 3 guys 2days to repair it was well worth the trade
Old 07-22-2009, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know the feeling you get when you drive by a piece of country and you say to your self-MONSTER COUNTRY? When I spot such a spot, I stop at the nearest residence to the property and ask if they know who owns that land. In most cases, if it is not they, you'll be steered in the right direction.

I begin in the spring securing permission. Show up in street clothes, not camo, etc. I also have pre-printed liability release documents that I let them read, if they're o.k. with that, then I get it notorized and make a copy, giving them the original.

Many folks fear liability issues more than anything else when others use thier property. Litter is probably a close second.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:16 AM
ASK
Spike

Dear All,

I have same the proplem.
I have been living in Ontario - Ottawa since 2008.
And I'm looking for privet land for hunt.
Any one can help me to find hunting land.

ASK
Old 07-22-2009, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

In Ohio there is a program called "The Cooperative Hunting Program", it's through the Department of Natural Resources. All you have to do is call your local DNR office and ask them to mail you out a list of members who are involved in the program, you can request the list by county. The people on these lists are usually farmers who are suffering from crop damage due to high deer numbers. The list will show the landowners name, address, phone number, and acreage. You will find that most of the people on these lists have been on it for years, and no longer want people to hunt their property, but all you need to do is find that one person. A few years ago, i got a list mailed out to me and am still hunting all three property's that i got access to.

Good luck,

Dustin.