Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Morels

Old 05-08-2003, 11:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Morels

A couple of friends of mine just got back today from southern Illinois turkey hunting and brought me 2 turkeys to mount the tail fans and 2 pounds of large yellow morels
cooked as follow
>> CLEAN MOELS AND CUT IN HALF.
>>POUR A COUPLE OF CUPS OF CORN FLAKES INTO A ZIPLOCK BAG
SEAL BAG AND USE ROLLING PIN TO CRUSH CORN FLAKES INTO CRUMBS ADD A LITTLE SALT.
>>WISK 3 EGGS.
>>MELT 1 STICK OF BUTTER IN SAUTE PAN.

>>DIP MOREL CUT IN HALF INTO WISKED EGG.
>>PUT MOREL IN BAG OF CORN CRUMBS AND SHAKE TO COAT MOREL.
>>FRY MORELS IN HOT BUTTER UNTIL CRISRY.
ENJOY, THEY ARE YUMMY
DOSENT TAKE TO LONG AND DONT LET THE BUTTER GET TO HOT OR IT WILL BURN.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Morel Recipe

Usually I saute all of my morels and load them onto a swiss burger, steak, or in an omlete. I really don' t like to fry them.

But last night I made some stuffed morels with the big ones and it came out fantastic!

[ul][*] Cook up some minute rice and add seasoning to taste (I used some garlic salt and lots of pepper).[*] Clean out your big morels without cutting them open. (I had mine soaking for a few days in salt water to kill all the bugs and such.)[*] Spoon in as much rice as you can into the morels.[*] Coat the bottom of a casserole dish with butter. Go ahead and coat it good and thick![*] Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.[*] Melt about a 1/3 cup of butter in the microwave and pour it over the morels. If some are looking too dry, go ahead and carefully roll them over.[*] Spread a little cheese on top of each morel. I used cheddar on half and swiss on the other half... I preferred the swiss myself.[*] Bake for another 15 minutes at 350 degrees.[*] Let cool for a few minutes and enjoy!
[/ul]
Old 05-12-2003, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

there was an article in the paper last week that said this is the best year for morells in iowa in 20-30 years. conditions are perfect, lot of rain, temps in the 60' s and 70' s. the ' shrooms are everywhere.

the article had a way to store them too. after morells are picked, cut in half, place on a screen, or wire mesh, place in the sun to dry. any bugs will leave looking for a cooler hide-out. dry for a day, place in a paper bag, and store in a cupboard. should keep for a year or two. soak in water, clean, and you are ready to go.

i have always ate them breaded and fried, either floured in a skillet, or battered with shorelunch, in a frier. but today, i satued them in about 1/4 inch of butter with lowerys season salt, and seasoned pepper, and used them in a venison stir fry. i tried a few before i threw them in the mix, DAMN they were awesome!! i' m gonna do that more often. eat them plain, and throw them over a grilled steak.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

After turkey hunting Sunday, my buddy and me went and got 42 of these things. That was the first time I had ever found any and I have yet to taste them. But I am heading to his house for supper tonight, and I will taste them then.

the 42 morels weighed in at about 1 pound.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let us know what you thought Bow-Man!!! I love them...but only about 3 times a year. I' m done eating them this year...but always enjoy hearing others talk about how yummy they are!
Old 05-14-2003, 09:54 PM

I am done as well for this year. But I tried something new for eats...

The wife made Johnny Marzetti...

I suate`d some yellows in butter and garlic, then mixed them in my serving of the Johnny Mac. Very good taste for `shrooms, added very favorable taste to Johnny Mac as well.

Can not wait until next spring!
Old 05-15-2003, 03:22 PM

We' ve pretty much reached the end of them here, I think. But, boy did we have a good year. We got a lot like these!

Old 05-16-2003, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those are beauties!!!!
Old 05-19-2003, 12:11 PM
nub

I found about about 15 lbs. last weekend. I' m out of state for this week but I' ll try and find more next weekend and post some pics.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heading north of Cadillac, Michigan for labor day to look for morels.

Hopefully we' ll stumble into some. My buddy just came back and said the yellows are starting there...

Quick Reply: Morels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.