Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Public "bow hunt only " lands???

Old 04-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Public "bow hunt only " lands???

Thinkn it ll be the first or second week in November.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

the bow only area near my house......maybe have some good hunting if by good you mean shoot anything that moves......I'd say the buck/doe ratio is about 1:25-100 I'd love to see some doe management put in place there, I once saw a nice 10pt buck, but seriously you see 25-100does for every buck you see, and that buck you see isn't by any means big, so as for other public land, and bow only I'm not sure, just know that the bow only public near me is plan to shoot a doe if anything....

They should institute a earn a buck tag for that land, or 2 does earna buck.....just encourage guys to shoot more does, and let the 1.5 and 2.5yo bucks walk....
Old 04-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go to the Ill. DNR web site & go to publications-get the Ill. Lic/Game regulations booklet (free) & it has all the Public access areas-weapon allowed & acherage & other information needed. Also order the Trophy Deer Management pamphlet-Public access places where there are antler restrictions like 4 or 5 points 1 side to be legal-some you may have to take a Doe 1st b/4 being allowed a Buck or draw for a specific week ect... They are not all small areas either.
I now live in Iowa (right over the border from my Ill. home town). Lots of decent PUBLIC access in both states. Good Luck. Oh, I live right in some of the BEST deer hunting in these states & HAVE NOT killed a BUCK for 3 years-my choice-passed on many decent Bucks and on PUBLIC GROUND. My son with my 2nd largest Whitetail I ever took about 10 years ago from public ground.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:09 AM
Fork Horn

Nice deer dude!!!! Thanks again for the info, Im stock piling all these and checkn into them. I ve gotta friend who hunts in Kentucky and another who hunts Ill. just across the river from him. They both hunt public land and talk about how GREAT it is....Big bucks around every tree. Im not gonna hang on their coat strings but I would like to see first hand how GREAT it is up there.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, Don't think they are behind every tree-you will hunt for them. I would try & Bowhunt anytime after Nov. 1 st. The Bucks will be getting anxious anytime then & you will probably see more movement & fewer bugs & cover & rubs & scrapes will be easier to see. good Luck.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:20 PM

Do you need a special permit (besides ahunting and deer license)for public hunting in Illinois? I had talked to someone who had told me that you had to apply for special permits for state parks.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get the Illinois hunting digest (paper booklet). It is free. Go to Ill. DNR publications & order it on line or pick up at a DNR/sporting goods store.
ALL public areas are lisrted & what weapons are legal & if applications are needed. There is also a pamphlet for TROPHY Managed areas (10 or 12) Most have to be applied for ahead of time & have a 4 per side or 5 per side antler restriction or you may have to tag a Doe b/4 able to shoot a Buck. There are some good Public areas-I've Bowhunted sevral over the years i lived in Ill..
Old 12-12-2008, 03:27 AM

If your hunting in Southern Illinois, look at the Shawnee forest, trail of tears area. Giant city state park, Lake Kinkade, Crab orchard, Devil Kitchen area. There are a lot of places down here to bow hunt. I'm able to hunt on a federal reservation which have a lot of deer, but it's only for employees only. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rbeckman

If your hunting in Southern Illinois, look at the Shawnee forest, trail of tears area. Giant city state park, Lake Kinkade, Crab orchard, Devil Kitchen area. There are a lot of places down here to bow hunt. I'm able to hunt on a federal reservation which have a lot of deer, but it's only for employees only. Good luck.
X2. All are good places to hunt and with asmuch landasall ofthose places hold, you should be able to put yourself on some deer away from other hunters.Crab Orchard is huge, just get more than 200 yards off the road. Shawnee forest is a state within itself, huge and almost mountainous. Devils kitchen isn't as big, but offers some nice terrain, I think its looked past for good hunting for some reason. All are good spots though.