Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Doyle to raise Wi. Hunting / Fishing fees ?

Old 02-14-2003, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Doyle to raise Wi. Hunting / Fishing fees ?

I am now curious about how much of that money makes it back into the DNR or any sort of wildlife funding. Well put Mr. Bales! peace
Old 02-14-2003, 08:46 AM
TJD
Fork Horn

It' s not the increase for residents that concerns me, but the degree of increase. Is the DNR trying to say that their cost of operation has gone up by 30%+ over the last year? I don' t recall seeing anything over the past couple of years that indicated that the DNR needed more money. Why so much NOW? Is the new leftie governor from Madison going to leave the additional funds at the DNR or is this a back door way to get the general fund of the state additional money? This strikes me as a move by a bunch of Madison bureaucrats with " ivory tower syndrome" who aren' t considering what the reaction of the public might be.

Sure, they haven' t raised it in a long time, but all we' ve been hearing about for the last year is the DNR begging us to go out and kill deer.
Great point, Nick. Lots of deer hunters stayed home last year, and now the sound bite that those same hunters will hear is " DNR to raise fees as much as 30%!" . Hardly something that is going to encourage them to come back.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

TJD you are correct! This money is for the State NOT the DNR. This is to help bring Wisconsin out of the Hole. It will get jacked up Again when the DNR needs more money. I guess we have to deal with it to hunt! They got us diehards! peace[:' (]
Old 02-14-2003, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

As posted in Wisconsin Outdoor News, ... A non resident deer license would increase $25 to $159.50????? [:@]

A NR deer license should be at least $200 - $225 to match Illinois and Iowa. A $50 to $80 small game/hunting license we' ll add/require later. hehehehehehehe
Old 02-14-2003, 09:35 PM

I am pretty sure that by state statute the monies collected from license sales must be used for wildlife or conservation type projects. This is simply not because of the DNR' s approach to the CWD issue. The money has been getting tighter each year as budget cuts have been forced on all agencies.
Projects that have been delayed or put on the back burner can now hopefully continue.
Also, if the fee increasse hadn' t happened I would bet that we would not like the results. Little or no service at state parks. Possibly park closings? Other things we kind of take for granted that would be not funded?
I don' t know.
This upcoming year will be the 8th year I have bought a Patron' s license for $110. What else has not gone up in price for 8 years?

Tim
Old 02-15-2003, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think an increase for NR is good but not too much. This might deter hunters coming to Wi for deer hunting. This means no income for the local merchants and what not. NO REVENUE is not good either. If we lose too many NR they might increase the resident again and again....

Once again how much of this will the DNR actually see!