Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois Public land

Old 10-24-2007, 09:08 PM

Default Illinois Public land

Anybody having any luck on public land? I hunt at Shabonna State Park and to tell the truth I'm not impressed. There are a lot of hunters though. They must know something that I don't. From the sign out sheets I've seen there aren't too many deer being taken. Maybe November will be another story but so far it's been a bust.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Illinois Public land

It doesn't matter if you are hunting public land in IL or any other state. It is always going to be difficult. The deer are completely different then those on private property. They are so exposed to all types of people from the serious hunter to casual hunters to outdoor enthusiasts. All of which has taught them to behave differently. I have only gotton out once this year and didn't have any luck but hopefully sunday will be different now that the weather has gotten colder.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard good and bad about Shabonna. Public land is like that tho. I hunt public land, and altho I don't see deer in great numbers, I do see them more than alot of people that hunt there.I've had three bucks in shooting-range this year so far. That's pretty good for where I hunt. I haven't seen a doe yet tho. That's weird.

Whereever you hunt, it's a good idea to get to know one area really well and stick to it. Eventually, you'll find areas where you see deer more often than others. Sometimes, if it's near the rut, or if the weather looks like it's going to be great for hunting, I'll get in the woods earier than usual and anticipate other hunters coming in later and pushing deer towards me. I have a spot tha's pretty deep in the woods, and when things go right, I see deer come in in groups throughout the morning.

Good luck out there.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:45 AM

i have really good luck on public land and there are some really nice deer. you just need to scout a little harder and think a little more.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:24 PM

If this picture doesn't post I'll try again.This is a photo of a Shabbona State Park buck.He was bedded down by the boat ramp outhouses in the middle of the day.I've watched those deer there for years.For the most part,they've got your number.They know to stay between the dam and the campground during the hunting season.It's a great place to chase them around with a camera.The buck in my avatar is from a farm just south of the park and last year my shotgunseason lasted only ten minutes there.The area is loaded with deer.Alot of nice bucks but the pressure at that park is too confined in a small area to get a deer without some luck.On the farms aroundthe park,if you can get permission,it is much easier.
http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t231/trackerlab/?action=view&current=ShabbonaBuck.jpg
Old 10-27-2007, 06:26 PM

I give up.You'll have to click on the link to see the Shabbona Buck.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MrReg

I give up.You'll have to click on the link to see the Shabbona Buck.
I have the same problem with Photobucket.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

BTW, I got this guy yesterday on public-land. I've passed on bucks this size already this year, but my nephew was with me and I thought I should shoot. Neither of us are complaining.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h188/bowman55/shooting/JoeyandI0710-pointer.jpg?t=1193572692

Old 10-28-2007, 08:08 AM

The Shabbona buck pic is definetly reassuring. You are right though, the pressure there is rediculous. What about the land up in Kirkland that Shabbona manages as well? I've been there a few times and actually have a firearms tag for it too. I scouted some the other day and found some buck sign and even saw a buck but I'm sure 20 other guys have found it too.

bowman15: Nice buck, bigger than the ones I've seen so far. Do you hunt on state land up north? (Shabbona, Silver Springs,etc)
Old 10-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see some of the biggest bucks on public land....pass on a lot of smaller ones every year, would rather shoot a doe than a young buck. You have to learn the area and it can be tough. Here's a shotgun buck off public land in December.

Quick Reply: Illinois Public land

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.