Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Minnesota Rut Dates

Old 10-16-2007, 11:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Minnesota Rut Dates

you know it. But didI mention that this is the only vacation time I took this year. Now I just hope the rain stops so they can get some of this corn out, otherwise I think it will be a slow vacation.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Might be slow, but it will still be better than sitting at work. Have you been seeing anything this year, or havnt you been out much? Good luck with your time off, we are swamped at work, so my time in the woods has been limited.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

I have been out a fair amount but havn't had any luck. This has been my slowest year in a long time. But I have started seeing a bunch of scrapes and rubs popping up, along with watching a few bucks starting to chase a little bit so it should start to happen real soon. You had any luck yet?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nope, I am not seeing anything. I went about 3 days in a row, where I saw a ton of deer, (mostly small bucks) everytime I went out. Now the last couple of weeks, I'm not seeing anything.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

TeeJay,

The early scrapes usually give an indicator of what is lurking around. Generally I start seeing scrapes/rubs the end of August-Mid September. This is the latest I have been scouting and have found very little sign in the usual places. I did find a fresh scrape on Sunday in one of the usual places. Walked several miles scouting durring the early doe season. I did head shoot a nice doe with my 16 ga., slug of course.

I have been up flying scouting also and have seen a couple of really nice bucks but generally this time of year I spot several everytime I'm up. I'm sure they are out there....just being sneakier this year.

WW
Old 10-18-2007, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

WW I have also seen several young bucks use 1 scrape though. Yes it tells you that you have a buck around, but it doesnt mean size or numbers.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:41 PM
Fork Horn

Bigdaddy -

It does seem like alot of the movement has slowed down or at least been right at dark or after the last couple weeks. Hopefully I can get in and get my camera here pretty quick but the water is so high it goes over the top of my hip waders - its normally only shin deep, hopefully that will give me a better clue when they are moving through the area.

I did get pics of a buck that I have had on camera for 3 years now, I think he is a 4 year old deer, he has 4 points on one side and then a 10 inch beam on the other side that has a fork on it but he has a huge body,so if i see him while i'm out on stand he might be getting an arrow shot at him.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tonight I saw a young buck grunting chasing does. I love watching that, hopefully it's a sign that it's picking up.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last night I saw one young buck following a doe and 3 fawns. He wasn't paying any attention to the doe really, just following them where they went and feeding with them.