Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana

Old 06-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Indiana

I've wondered many times why Indy doesn't compare to her neighbors on each side? It seems everyone drives right through Indy to get to either IL or OH. It sounds like from the posts above that you guys really need to educate your average sportsman. A statewide effort at QDM is seriously needed. Shooting more Does and allowing immature bucks to atleast get some age on 'em. One thing that helps IL is the unlimited Antlerless-Only tags and a restrictive buck limit. We shoot a lot of Does every season in my region. Also, more and more hunters in my area seemed to have jumped on the QDM band wagon over the last few seasons and we're hearing of a LOT more folks letting the yearling Bucks walk. Add to this good management, a short limited Firearm season of which only 3 days really hit the Rut(weekend before Thanksgiving) and a lot of bucksslip by eachseason. Best of luck to all of you guys and I hope someday that most of the thousands of NR hunters that head to my state every year will start stopping in YOURS!
Old 06-17-2007, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

I don't want IN to be like IL where alot of the deer hunting is leased by outfitters for out of town hunters. The problem I see with deer hunting now days is everyone has to be a badasss trophy hunter, whatever happened to a simple hunting trip when you could be happy with a basket rack 8 point. Some of my most favorite hunting memories are of killing small bucks. Lots of restrictions are fine for people who have private ground to hunt on but for us guys who have mainly public ground where the killing of does is illegal it cuts down are chances of being able to kill a deer.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Where the badass trophy hunter comes into play is from watching all these Hunting shows, where huge deer are shot every year. Everyone wants to be like the next big hunting star. For me I dont shoot basket racks or deer under 3.5 years of age. Thats just my personal choice. I myself would like to see the deer grow and get some age. Lets see which would I rather have a 135lb basket rack or a 200lb buck with some nice genectics. There is definetly a lot more meat with the 200lb deer. The last buck I shot in 2004 was a 150in 220lb buck. I could have killed lots of smaller bucks and still could have the past 2 years. But Im trying to practice QDM. Here is what happened the day I shot my biggest buck. I had a small spike come by me, I passed on him, then walks a 5 point right by me, I passed on him. But the neighbor didnt. That small 5 point which weighed 120lbs was dead with in 15 minutes of me seeing him. 30 minutes later I had my biggest buck down. Its all the hunters choice. You just cant practice QDM by killing off all the smaller bucks.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:56 AM

If your happy with shooting the first thing that comes by then fine. Your not helping the deer herd by shooting young bucks or doe's. The people who say "you cant eat the rack" is just an excuse for not raising your goals. if you don't care if you shoot a huge buck then fine challenge your self to harvest a mature buck. But most are to lazy to put in the time or think they have to shoot something so they don't waste there tag. but there probably happy with just getting by in life also and not wanting more, no goals.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

but there probably happy with just getting by in life also and not wanting more, no goals.
Dont tell me I am just happy getting by in life pal I am in management at a large company,own a rental house with the plans on buying more and basically don't owe much on anything I own. Its the way hunting is going that I don't like, nobody is content to just go hunting anymore for a simple relaxing day, they have to live the life of the hunting shows they watch every Saturday.Yes I shot a buck that scored around 140" this year but it is not my favorite whitetail I have harvested, my favorite was a spike I snuck up on and killed at 15 yds in its bed a couple of years ago( it did't even get up just dropped dead on the spot). I just don't like the idea of having a strict set of regulations telling me I have to kill a doe first, the rack has to have so many points or a minimum width. With me its the hunt and not the size of the harvest that matters to me.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:05 PM

yes ive always thought our gun season was to long
Old 06-20-2007, 04:06 AM

well i didn't point the finger at anyone. just making an observation. I shoot 140 or bigger, not because they do it on tv but for the challange. If i wanted to shoot what ever i would be done on the first day of bow. i always see 4-6 young bucks. We don't need the point or spread resriction. the one buck is working fine. its increasing are buck population. i got a 182-5/8 but my favorite is a 140 i stalked. imo its no fun to shoot a young buck. they just don't produce a challange. The reason are gun season is so long is because theres not enough bow hunters shooting doe's.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

As an Illinois native who still owns land and hunts there, i can tell you that we shouldn't be the model for other states to follow. Deer management (farming?) is a relative term and lot's of folks were much happier before it turned into big business where not bagging a trophy buck means that one apparently doesn't have any goals in life or they are wasting their tag. Some of the easiest kills i have ever seen where pretty big, pretty old bucks. Hell, the biggest buck killed in my immediate area was taken by a guy standing out in the middle of a cut cornfield. The goal should be to enjoy hunting first and secondarily to put meat in the freezer or a rack on the wall. As long as the first goal is being achieved I don't care if my land is infested with mega-bucks or only has a few spikes and does.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:18 PM

One persons goal is diffrent from another. if you hunt in an area like where my grand father hunts you will be lucky to see a buck. Because to many hunters shoot everything i watched 5 doe's go into a woods and only 2 made it out. But they have the nerve to say this area sucks or theres no deer here. uhh DUHH. If you are happy shooting the first deer that walks by then fine do it. but you will have an unbalanced deer herd. I have a great time sitting in the woods watching nature. even if i don't see a deer. And i haven't shot a buck the past 2 seasons. But i still had a great time in the woods.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

I agree trophyhunter25. The area I hunt in sucks cause all the hunters think they have to wipe out everything that comes by. In some places the deer herd is unbalanced. I myself havent shot a deer in 2 years but thats ok cause I enjoy setting out watching nature. I myself would like to see some QDM happen. The one buck rule has helped, but to be honest the gun season is too long. Thats my opinion. But Im sure someone will try to shove that down my throat. I do hate it when you voice your opinion and others agree only to have someone shove it down your throat. Some take offense to others opinions. Lets face it Indiana has a problem. BTW I dont think you pointed any fingers at anyone. I myself set goals for deer hunting as well as turkey hunting. I could have shot a couple jakes while turkey hunting this past season, but that wasnt my goal. Its no secret that I love to hunt those turkeys, but just to go and shoot an imature bird isnt for me. The same applys to deer hunting. Give me a MATURE deer or turkey and I'll harvest it. NO younguns for the Arrowmaster. Let em grow up and pass the genectics on...

Quick Reply: Indiana

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.