Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Wisconsin bear baiting season

Old 04-15-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Wisconsin bear baiting season

Well, today is the first day we can place bait for the fall bear season and mine is out. I put bait in three different locations averaging about 10 miles apart. Each location has two hollow stumps half buried in the ground. One stump at each place has mixed bear bait in it and the other dog food and table scraps. All of the stumps are covered with large rocks. Each location also has two rags of anise and liquid smoke thrown into trees, plus lots spread around. Two sites are on the edge of wetlands with a creek and the other a hardwood ridge in an agricultural area. I have cameras at each site. I know some of you think it is way to early to bait for september, but it takes many years to get a tag in Wisconsin, so I want to take advantage of it to the fullest. I will check my cameras next weekend and post pictures if I have any.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wisconsin bear baiting season

Wow! I didn't know you could start baiting so early. I just started putting in for points so I have a few years to wait. Sounds like you have a good plan though. Which zone are you hunting in? Good luck! Post some trail cam pics if you get a chance!
Old 04-16-2007, 06:59 PM

I'm in Zone C. I had been applying for up north, but I didn't feel like waiting for four to six more years to get a tag. I also figured since I live in zone C and have five months to bait, I should be able to locate and get some bears trained in to my baits.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:25 PM

I checked all three for the first time today. No hits at any, so far. One of my cameras had 124 pictures of racoons trying to get into my bait. One of the later pictures shows two of them working together to move the rock on top of one of the stumps. Thy didn't get it completely off, but they got it to fall partially in the hole in the stump. I guess I need heavier rocks. You would think 30 to 40 lb rocks would be enough to keep coons out. I am posting pics of two of my sites, I forgot the camera in the car at the third, and a coon pic. I will check them again some time in the next week. If anything shows up I'll post pics.
[

Old 04-25-2007, 05:53 PM

I decided to stop by one of my bait sites on my way home from work today. On my way in I saw something black running away from were my bait was. It got my heart pounding pretty good, until I realized it was just a realy big Fisher. Pretty cool anyway. As I approached the site I could see that the stumps I had half buried had been ripped out of the ground. I was pretty excited. I went to check my camera to see the pictures, and the stupid thing isn't working. I spent about ten minutes trying to get it to work, to no avail. This is the new infared one, piece of S$^%!! In the frustration I forgot to take a picture of the ripped out stumps. So I went to Walmart bought a 100 dollar moultree camera, came back, set it up and rebaited. It would have been nice to see pictures, but it is still exciting to have my site hit. Today would have been alot of work if I was hiking my bait into the mountains like some of you. At this site I drive a quarter of a mile off the road across my field and then I only have to walk 100 yards down the ridge through the woods to the swamp edge. It would have also sucked if I had driven five hours to get there instead of five minutes. It might be a while before I check this site or the two others, as my wife is pregnant and the baby was due Monday. Exciting times
Old 04-29-2007, 05:35 PM

[hr]

Emily Rose was born Friday Morning at 5:34. 7lbs 4.5oz
What a wonderful day

Today I checked my sites. Here are a few of the over forty pictures one of the cameras took before the bears ripped it down. The cool part is that the first pictures were taken during daylight a few hours after I dumped the bait. I think there are pictures of three different bears. I know there is two for sure, since there are two in one picture. I also developed some 35mm film from a different bait site and there were two bears that came in, or the same one twice, but it didn't eat any bait. Since that film was taken I put out a digital camera there. I checked that today also, and it had been hit. Unfortunately the 300 pictures of coons filled the 128mb card before the bear came. I guess I have to adjust the camera settings.
Sorry, these pictures are in reverse order.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow I cant bait till August, looks like you got a good season ahead.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:11 PM

It is against the law in Wisc. to bait with any animal product, most dog foods would fall in that catagorie, as well as most table scraps. Just letting you know so you don't get in trouble. Good luck in your quest.

Iarrowed a 500 pounder (My biggest bear)in unit "C" a while back. It was near Wausau. Here is a pic.

Here is an article about the hunt:

http://www.bloodbro.com/articles/archives/2006/02/the_bathtub_bea_1.php
Old 05-01-2007, 06:17 PM

I made sure there was no meat or cheese in the leftovers, I do appreciate the advice though.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:23 PM

I just looked it up. It says: cannot contain animal parts or animal by-products... Pretty sure your safe with donuts and cake... But most dog food contains animal bi-products...

Quick Reply: Wisconsin bear baiting season

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.