Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Wisconsin bear baiting season

Old 05-01-2007, 09:19 PM

Default RE: Wisconsin bear baiting season

The bears really like themix of candies and sweets I bought in Medford by the 55 gallon barrel.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:35 PM

Here are some pictures from one of my sites that I checked today. I had to lighten some of the pictures because the flash didn't do that great of a job. The date also seems to be a day fast. I think I had better slow down how often I check my baits, otherwise it is going to cost me a ton to feed them until september.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:42 AM

Having chased and baited bears for many years here in WI, it is definitely a no-no to use dog food, a good choice on your part, to stop using the dog food as bait. The DNR has it written in the regs as such to include dog food but doesn't specifically say it. If you look on just about any dog food bag it will say exactly what the DNR has written. As for the fryer oil, most places have screens on the fryer's so when it's drained all meat particles are seperated from the oil. If you want a good alternative thats cheap but slightly time consuming, go to the grocery store and buy the bulk popcorn, its light to haul in and bears love it when mixed with sweets, all it takes is a hotplate and a big pot in the garage some garbage bags and your all set. Try it
Old 05-06-2007, 09:05 AM

Just a bit more info. to help you out in case your new to this, so don't get defensive if you already know. As you bait through summer into fall, if it stays dry this year again, your two baits by the swampy area and creek will probably get more productive, as bears like to be near water. Also as your baiting, and patterning these bears try to figure out where there coming from they'll typically come in from the same general area as they become more comfortable with the setup, then set your stands accordingly. When a bear comes to bait he'll circle it and you may not see him, but trust me he's going to be smelling for you, its not as tough when your the one baiting and hunting because the bears will become used to your scent. The real problem is when we bait and then put a client in a tree and add a new scent that the bears aren't used to. As for the hardwood ridge set, depending on wind direction the ridgetop is probably best for stand placement, otherwise when the bear circles if your down in the bottom he'll wind ya. So anyway just thought I'd throw out a little friendly advice, it takes a long time to draw a tag and I like to see guys harvest there bear.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:54 AM

I won't be using any dogfood. Thanks guys, I'ld hate to shoot a big bear and have it confiscated.

Crosshairs,
I appreciate the tips. I had figured that already, but it never hurts to have others oppinions as well.