Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Does only in MN?

Old 01-08-2007, 05:01 PM

Default RE: Does only in MN?

In theory that is a good idea, cant take a buck so every hunter goes after does. In reality, I think the people that hunt because they want the meat or simply just enjoy the sport will continue to hunt, those that hunt because they want antlers, probably wont even buy a tag. You might have some more does taken but not enough to make a difference. If guys are just after big bucks, your not going to change that. One thing that would make a big difference I think would be if MN would get a quality venison donation program up and running like WI has. As it is now (except for some select counties) you have to pay for virtually all the processing yourself if you want to donate it. WI has a program where hunters pay little to nothing.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:28 PM

If the DNR is concerned about the doe pop. then why don't we convince them to extend the bowhunting season till the mid or end of Jan? You usually can tell if its a buck that has dropped the antlers already.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

Just a quick question from an outsider. Are you certain they don't mean a shorter, separate season for antlerless only? Ohio tried it 6 or 7 years ago. No state will ever go to strictly antlerless.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

New here but have been reading for some time.

I agree with goyard74...It doesn't matter who said it. I think it would be a great idea and I have recommended it for several years also at MDHA meetings and to the local officers. I have 120 acres in side the Paul Bunyan State Forest and the doe population is getting way out of hand. I am trying to manage it for wildlife but it is nearly impossible because of what several of what you guys have said.....most of the "hunters" that come up to the are just want a buck so they can brag to their buddies that they shot a buck. I have offered many times to city guys that they can hunt as long as they only shoot does. The typical reply is, " I don't want to hunt their unless I can shot a big buck" Funny part is they never offer to help do all the work of help financially. I spend well over a thousand dollars a year and many hours of hard work to make things better only to find the slob hunters putting up stand on the edge of my property.

I am all for a Does only season but as some of you have stated it will be nearly impossible with the mentality of most of the hunters other than the meat hunters.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:31 PM

wwhunter ., if you need somebody to come and shoot does ., im there ., i will do it with bow and then muzzleloader., what ever it takes to help you and your herd ., i love venison and i will take does.,
Old 01-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

Earn a buck would be the way to go. After the first snow of the year you can easily could 100+ does within 2 miles of my house. It's kinda SICK cuz No one will let you go in and hunt the does.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wisconsin has both EAB and Antlerless Only hunts. Not sure if its working as well as they thought it would but it sure has cut the population down in my area. Id say if your state wants a doe only season make sure they dont do it during the rut like WI did the first couple years, boy did that piss everyone off.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

WW, did you shoot a buck last year? How about the last 5 years? Were they of "trophy" caliber? I also hunt the "Bunyan" my friend. Have for over 25 years. Where is this 120? Do you hunt off of it? Do you help manage the herd off your 120? I hunter over 70 days in the Bunyan last year and I dont remember seeing all that over excesive amount of does, where is your 120 again I am looking for a new hunting spot?
Old 01-13-2007, 12:04 AM
Fork Horn

Teejay,

Got a 230lb 8 point this past fall. Shot several does last year and had my elk hunting buddy up the year before....he got a 210 lb (dressed) 12 pointer. Get several does all years. Had 18 does standing out in front of my shed nearly daily this fall.

There are tons of does around the area. Just need to look a little harder. The main problem is that as soon as any hunting season starts there are all the idiot road hunters and the deer get spooked. They get nocturnal REAL fast.

My place is south of International Falls and north of Wadena!!

I've been hunting in this general area since the early-mid 70's and my dad and his buddies started hunting there I believe back in the 50's.
WW
Old 01-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know the Buyan and know it quite well. I strickly archery hunt and pretty much hunt in the refuge. We also have a 40 south of the reserve, give me some cross roads and Ill be able to find you. If you are seeing 17 doe you have to be feeding them right? There is plenty of deer up there, but there isnt the numbers that the DNR thinks there is!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.