Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

souther Iowa land owner wanting to know

Old 11-26-2006, 02:31 PM

Default souther Iowa land owner wanting to know

how much is prime hunting ground leasing out for?

I have 80 ac of some of the best deer hunting around here. there is a main creek running threw it is 1/2 timber and 1/2 brush/trees. I am 30 mi. south of where the Albia buck was taken

my father has done some fee hunting on the rest of the familys ground. there is 640 ac all together in one piece
Old 11-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: souther Iowa land owner wanting to know

I know some outfitters are leasing ground, but I'm not at all interested in the idea. There is too much good public land and friendly landowners here to have to lease hunting ground. We have all thegoose hunting ground we need just outside of town and most of the farmers I talk to want us to shoot their deer. Just a little friendly talking is all it usually takes. Someday we might have to pay to hunt any land, but I'll be dead by then. Jim
Old 11-27-2006, 11:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

2eagles,

Up until about 10 years ago folks used to say the same thing about the past of Illinois where I'm from. But, then it changed damn near overnight. Now there's more Posted signs around there than there are trees to nail 'em to.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

Lanse,
I know I have my head in the sand, but I refuse to play some games. I will not pay a farmer to hunt pheasants or waterfowl. Now, if somebody has a piece of ground that has P&Y bucks running around........maybe! But, if we're talking 80 or even 120 acres, there's no keeping the big boy there, short of high fence. I'll keep on doing what I'm doing - having fun and filling the freezers! Jim

And, NO! I am not picking on IAStonewall. I'm sure he is a nice guy looking to make a buck and I might try it too if I had some land. It's just after over 40 years of hunting Iowa, I'm not ready to accept this pay to hunt trend.
Welcome to the boards IAStonewall!
Old 11-27-2006, 04:25 PM

I didnt figure you were picking. there is alot of great places to hunt for free around here, but i gotta try to make this crappy ground pencil somehow

Old 11-27-2006, 04:28 PM

I will try this again

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e45/bobclark42/aeacre2.jpg
Old 12-23-2006, 07:53 PM

You can expect to get $5 to $10 an acre in that area. 80 acres is not alot. I hunted that area a couple times and had no problem getting permission, but during the rut there were people from all over the country hunting on every property making it a little tough unless you could lease them off.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:30 AM
Spike

This has turned into a real problem, someone leases some ground and they go all over everyone else ground, you may have pi$$ed off neigbors, and you might check with your insurance company about this. Stonewell, I'm from Eddyville and have seen alot of this and a couple land owners in a huge lawsuit over various issues from a lease. J.A.T.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:51 AM

Actually, the lease if done correctly would help protect the leasee. This a contract where the hunters pay to hunt land and AGREE TO FOLLOW all the LAWS and rules. They would loose there money and lease imeadiatly if caught tresspassing or poaching or whatever the lease stipulates.

I know there are alot of people who are against leaseing. But I feel its mainly for greedy reasons. If we are going to use someone elses land, kill there deer, come and go waking up the land owners in the early AM, give them very little peace during the hunting season, Leave gut piles on there property etc. They should be compensated.

If you treat a land owner good, he will likly never kick you out or lease it to some one else. If you can't afford money, you should offer help around the property, send a Xmass gift, be thankfull for the time he has allowed you on his property. You are NOT doing him a huge service by coming out there and killing his deer. Your probably doing more crop damage trampsing through his feilds than the one or two deer you shoot. A little reimburstment / or thankfullness goes along way.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:11 PM

I have never payed to hunt someones property befor ,but amthinking a lot about it .I'm thinking somewhere around $750 for a season of bow hunting .Thats all I can afford ,once you add the travel and the time off work .I'm getting fedup with the pressure hunting public land .Iwas told in pike co. farmers are getting from $25 to $40 an acre ,at that price the outfitters have to run a lot of hunters though that property .I don't think I would like that if I was the land owner,I think you should look for one hunter or two for the year .

[/align]nnI