Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Missouri youth season

Old 11-09-2006, 12:31 PM

Default RE: Missouri youth season

Hey Grasshopper, what kind of gun your daughter shoot? My daughter is 7, I'd like to get her shootin soon.

ANd another reason why to let the youth have a hunt all to themselves...

http://missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=30369

Scroll down till you see the pic. This thing was killed about 3 miles north of my house. No doubt who killed this deer
Old 11-10-2006, 02:16 AM
Typical Buck

Keith

She's been shooting a .22 long rifle for a couple of years. She took her deer with a .22 hornet. It's a small centerfire .22 caliber that is slightly larger than a.22 magnum casing. It actually hasshoulders and a neck on the casing. It's fine for close range shots, but to be honest, I was worried what would happen if a nice buck showed up.Although legal, it really is a bit small for all deer. I knew the foodplot we would be hunting had several doe fawn groups frequenting it, and I had no qualms about a good broadside shot on either out to about 50 yards. The gun would certainly kill out to 100 yards in my estimation, but she had really proven with time on the range that 50 yards was about her maximum range. Then she made a liar out of me and shot hers at about 65 yards! It would be a great cartridge to start shooting with, as it has no recoil. However, if she grows like I think she will, she'll be toting a .243 next year.

GH
Old 11-10-2006, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think its a crock too but when i was elegiable in Michigan 5 years ago I took a nice 8 point my dad went out with me glassed for me, but the hunt and the stalk i put on was all me. Its great for young hunters but I do know people that take advantage of that Like this one guy whos daughter was elegible to hunt went and bought her a license (she had no interest to hunt) so he went out and shot a monster he had been watching all summer but one of his friends who hunts the same property turned him in!!
Old 11-17-2006, 05:00 PM

I took my 10 year old son on the youth season hunt and I like many others let our children do the hunting. Not all of us who take our children out on this hunt break the law so we should let our children suffer due to so morons actions I think not.