Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Land Leasing Q's

Old 11-27-2005, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default Land Leasing Q's

I am very interested in leasing some land in Iowa. I live in the northeastern part of the state. Leasing land is very new to me, so i had some questions. How much does it usually cost per acre? What rights do you usually get, such as are you usually allowed to add food plots and what not?
Old 11-28-2005, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Land Leasing Q's

Not sure about the great state of Iowa, but I lease land here in NE Indiana.

I'd say average around here is $10/acre..I pay a ΒΌ of that with a few friends. We were told there was going to be a food plot if farming/weather/time permitted. In my opinion..they had time..but we did not get a food plot. On the other hand, I shot 3 deer with my bow, and 2 with my muzzleloader...who needs a food plot when there are 35+ deer per square mile?!
Old 11-29-2005, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

Ok, I guess my next question would be, if there is a good website to check out land for lease in your area, or is it better to talk to the landowner privately about leasing the land?
Old 11-29-2005, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would advise you to look in your local paper..or the local paper in the area you are looking for. Also drive around and talk to some farmers...and talk to the local DNR officer. Using a commerical company to lease land off of will jack up the price. Just do some homework on available land..and save money.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:00 PM

Just had a thought that I am going to persue here in Indiana. Go talk to you local Farm Bureau Co OP. They may be able to point you towards some farmers that are possably looking for someone to hunt because of crop damage.