Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana Hunters

Old 10-09-2005, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Indiana Hunters

I do hunt family land outside of Decatur...but mainly hunt some land in LaGrange...but it's within a mile ofSteuben, Noble, and Dekalb counties. It's the south eastern tip of LaGrange.

About got a big doe yesterday..another 15 yards and she would have been mine. Saw nothing this morning though.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:47 PM

Had a crazy day... walked to the stand by myself this morning... in the dark (well, mostly dark, 6:00), kicked one out of the woods, got to my stand, started climbing up, my bow tinged against the ladder, kicked one up about 15 yds behind my stand, got up to the stand, lay my bow on the seat, turn around, pick my bow up, deer coming right across the beans straight to me... hear crunching to the left, can tell it's a deer coming down the bean field/ditchline towards my stand, doe in the field staring at doe headed down the ditch line, doe in the field never sees me, but apparently doe on the ditchline does, all of the sudden, white tails up around the bean field, at least 5 of them, maybe more... so I sit for an hour and a half, see two does headed out about 200 yards... good morning, no shots, but lots of deer...

So, sittin in same stand tonight, about 4:30 ish button buck I've been getting on my game cam comes out in a grassy area about 30 yards to my left... piddlyfarts around there for a while, finally presented a shot, took shot, shot directly under him. He jumpes from fear... then he proceeds to stand there and piddlyfart around... again... I say screw it, I am not thinking I should take another shot like that, so i don't and he gets scared by a SQUIRREL and trots down the ditch line away from me... 10 minutes later, he's back, but he cuts into the woods... 15 minutes later, he's back, cuts across the ditch and I couldn't see him from then on because of the damn leaves on the trees.... sooo... 5 minutes later, two does (maybe one button buck) come out at about 50-60 yards, doe eventually takes off, smaller doe (or button) lays down in the beans... all of the sudden too, just lays down! I was like, WHAT? It had been making it's way towards me when it laid down. So, 45 minutes later, it's back up, and coming straight for me, it puts it's head in the beans, I stand up and get ready... takes his good 'ol gettin' to me...

So, it's coming, about 25 yards out, I'm ready, standing steady, he gets to the edge of the ditch 15-20 yards and stands behind a tree for a while, starts to come out, so I draw back, it's broadside, but it stops almost out from behind the tree, but not quite, so I let down my draw, and wait.... again...it finally steps out and I draw back and let go. It turns and runs, back towards the grassy area where I missed the first one, but I shot him on theleft side (if you were facing him head on), but I SWEAR, when he turned and ran the other way, my arrow was on hisright side, almost all of the way out... but I'm serious, unless my mind was playing tricks, the fletching was sticking out on his right side... the FLETCHING, now tell me this, is it common for your mind to play tricks, because I don't see ANY possible way the arrow could have turned completely around!? I have pink and purple fletching, so now I'm thinking what I saw was the arrow come all of way through and I was seeing blood on the broadhead... that HAD to be the case! Okay, so that must be what it is... I swear I saw purple and pink fletching, wow, that is weird. Well, anyway, to make a long story as short as possible, my husband and my best friend's hubby are out tracking right now. Wish me luck... I don't want that sick feeling of "I wounded a deer"...
Old 10-09-2005, 08:53 PM

Hubby found him 40 yards from where I shot him, I shot my buddy though, I shot the little button buck we got 3 different days (6 pictures total) on our game cam, we named him "Bucky" and said we weren't going to shoot at him this year, we'd give him time to grow... well, as the story goes, I couldn't tell it was him from that far out so I took the shot. Hit him right in the tooshie somehow, I SWEAR his toosh was behind a tree!!! Right in the main artery, didn't get very far before he went down... I'm proud of my first bow kill, I really am proud of THAT, but I feel badly that I shot "Bucky"... I didn't intend on it, if I woulda known it was him, I would NOT have taken that shot. As I said in the bowhunting forum though, he will still taste good at dinnertime, but I hate that it was *him*
Old 10-10-2005, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats, BHG. We need more women hunters. I have never seen a woman hunter in IN. I have in other states.
Sat. I had 12 does come by
Sat. Evening 8 does 1 spike and 6 pt
Sun. Morning 4 does and 8 pt that was about an 1 outside his ears on each side but he did not have very good tine length. 4-5 inches. He was right under me.
Sun. Evening 13 does 1 spike 1-4 point.

The guy I hunt on has 3 small alfalfa fields and I sit over those in the evenings. They come out in groups. I have never seen anything like it. It is the only field food source for a mile so it is pack right now.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats BHG. My first bow kill was a shot similar to yours here. I hit him way too far back and thought for sure he would be wounded. Went over to the spot I hit him and there was just circles of blood that looked like it was spraying everywhere. Ended up finding him about 50 yards from where i shot him. That femural artery is deadly if you hit i. It's not a fair sport sometimes, i hit a doe 2 years ago with what looked like a perfect shot. I got down and me and my buddy tracked real good blood for about 100 yards, then it just stopped. Never could find another drop.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:42 AM

bigbuck... I had the same thing last year, hit a doe, had good blood, but didn't find it for about 70 yds from the shot, bled for 150 yards or so then POOF... it was gone! Never found her, made me sick to my stomach. I was just glad my bad shot turned good for me (and "Bucky"), I really woulda felt awful if I lost another one... I can guarantee I wouldn't be back in the stand until I was able to shoot that muzzleloader of mine...

As far as women hunters, we definitely need more of them, but I'm finding a few that have an interest in taking it up... which is good. My maintenence guy and myself found out one of our contractors, major tomboy, 20 years old, wants to take it up, bowhunting and all! So, he found a bow that is perfect size for her and I think she's gonna buy it, so we will get her dialed in and next year hopefully she will have her first kill under her belt.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

CONGRATS BHG! A deer's a deer. [8D]

Only girl hunter I've seen wasn't even hunting..but at a Mathew's archery competition. She out-shot her husband.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

All I can say is that I'm happy all this nasty weather is going thru during the week..so by fri/sat/sun it should be nice out...although warmer than I'd like.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:45 PM

good going girl. You got one.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like it might be warm this weekendup here in the NE part of the state. I'll only be going out fri/sat..Sunday will be spent w/the girl since the Colts don't play until Monday night.

Quick Reply: Indiana Hunters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.