Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana Hunters

Old 10-26-2005, 06:04 PM

Default RE: Indiana Hunters

good luck, are you hunting doe now?
Old 10-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Went tonight, it was pretty dead. I saw 2 come into that grass field again right under that tree i had been seeing them at as i was getting dressed at my truck. They were 2 little does. This was at 3pm. Sat in the woods for 3 hours and didnt see a thing. Seen 1 lone deer way out in a cut corn field as i was leaving. I did find 4 fresh scrapes though that were not there yesterday afternoon. I made a few mock scrapes and mock rubs tonight and hung up my dripper. I have always had excellent results late in October/early November with the dripper. I've had bucks stand on their back legs and try to lick the thing. Im going to try it in the morning for my first morning hunt of the year, i believe they ought to be moving well with the colder temps.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, i seen yet another small buck this morning at 7:30. That makes 4 now in 5 trips. Looked like a 6 point, couldnt tell for sure, thought it was a doe when i first saw it. Beginning to think its going to be a lot like last year where i see a ton of basket racks and no big ones. It's still early though, i think only the young ones are out seeking right now. There has to be a nice buck somewhere out there considering how many i have let walk over the past 3 years. Anyone else have a lot of smaller bucks on their property? I have seen more bucks then does this year which is unusal for me. Im at the stage where i like to hold out for a nice buck, havent seen hardly any where i hunt the past couple years though. Seems like every buck has the same type of rack, short, not wide, and between 4-7 points. I may try and see if i cant get some more property to hunt on before gun season opens.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:57 PM

I see about a 1:1 ratio of bucks under 8 points to does where i hunt so i dont usually shoot at anything under 8 points but old murphy pulled a fast one on me this season. six point (no browtines) but thats alright, the meat is in the freezer and i can just tell people that i killed him because of bad genetics, ooh!! did i type that out loud,lol
Old 10-27-2005, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

"good luck, are you hunting doe now?"

eh...unless a monster steps out in front of me..yes.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:30 PM

well good luck with that.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:12 PM

anybody know where i can get some good summer sausage made, in the indianapolis area?
Old 10-28-2005, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, maybe i need to complain about only seeing small bucks more often. Set up again today on the same property where i have seen all the basket racks. About 7:30 am again i had a deer coming straight down the revine to me, it was a nice big doe. I found it odd she was by herself but didnt see anything behind her so i decided she was mine when i got the shot. Just as she entered bow range, a big bodied deer passed through the brush where she had just came. As it walked in front of me i could see a rack. Didnt look all that impressive from the side as far away as he was. I kinda got bumed again about it being a small buck but i was more interested in getting the doe.

The doe found her way into my mock scrape, tried to play with my dripper for awhile. Meanwhile the buck would not come off the revine and i was worried he was going to see me. These deer this year have reversed their normal pattern and are coming from the front and not the back. So i was not exactly set up great for where they came from. I saw the buck rubbing some trees in the thickets, then when he looked my direction i about crapped. This isnt no small buck, he is a beauty of what looked like an 8 point. Not a real tall rack, but man is it wide. A deffinite shooter and deffinite wall hanger for the place i hunt. As luck would have it, the doe turned around and went back the way she came, the buck followed her, he payed no attention to my grunt tube. This is the first buck with a doe i have seen so far, he was basically following her around lightly, not letting her get to far away from him. He wasnt pushing her yet.

I got down at 10 and went and picked up my other ladder stand and moved it up front where these deer are coming from. Gonna leave it set tonight and hit it in the AM. I will have no problems getting up now knowing this guy is out there. Its really good to know that 3 years of letting all bucks walk has at least left me with one really nice deer. I was getting frustrated that my efforts had gone for not.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shot another doe today.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:14 PM

Buddy quit hunting last week; was not seeing anything or doing any good so he just quit:so lost his area. Went to my area to put up couple of ladder stands for firearms. Corn is still in. Not many good trails in the wooded areas and those that are almost straight lines leading from on corn field to the next or to the bean field. Looks like they are coming down to hit the water and then going right back into some corn or the beans. Boy hope he gets those crops out soon.

Quick Reply: Indiana Hunters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.