Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana Hunters

Old 10-23-2005, 07:46 AM

Default RE: Indiana Hunters

Way to go Pat! Congrats, that's a nice deer, we don't exactly grow 'em like Iowa and Illinois, around here, that's a real good deer.

I'm going to buy a rattling bag for tonight... I've got to get Bruno in, I want a bow shot with him... if I wait until shotgun and muzzy, the hubby will have him down in his tracks! LOL Anyway... seems like rattling is the key right now, mixed with a little scent, so I'm going to try my hand at it. I will be hunting for a few hours, probably go out at 2:30 or 3, what should my sequence be? 3 or 4 rattles in that time? I dunno, I'm confused, I will post in bowhunting to get a few more responses. Congrats Pat, good darn week for you eh?
Old 10-23-2005, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys...and VERY good week for me!

When I rattle, I start with grunting a few times..usually try to make it sound like an older deer taking on a younger deer. Then I crash the bag a couple times.....then slow down...couple ticks for a few moments...then crash them again for a few seconds. After I'm done..I grunt a few timesshowing the older buck "won."

It's awesome after a minute or two of doing this...then seeing deer pop out of tree lines looking for the action. I've seen it attract fawns...all sorts of bucks...and big does too.

Something happened over the course of the past week...got the bucks up and moving like crazy. It's not the temps, in my opinion (mid-upper 50's when I saw them moving the most). Not sure what...but there are rubs and scrapes everywhere now..when last Sunday there was little to be seen.

For firearm season (I don't use my shotgun anymore...I use my muzzleloader only), I'll just try to get a doe or two. I can take a couple more antlerless deer up in LaGrange..and 1 in Adams. IF a large buck presented itself...it would be very hard to not take him down (errrr...I mean my brother shoot him and tag him...ah huh huh). Yeah..it's not "right"...but the 1 buck limit studies have shown absolutely NO effect on buck size or numbers so far...so it's not like I'm shooting a whale...or an endangered species.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:41 AM

I hear ya, Pat...

Okay, thanks for the info on rattling... I'm gonna give it a go, but I've never grunted either, I'm afraid of making an @ss of myself to the deer! LOL

Anyway, I have seen way LESS activity, doe and buck wise in my area. Don't know what's up with that, but such as life, I don't go hunting enough to really be the best judge of it anyway, two kids will do that to ya, ya know?

Old 10-23-2005, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

ya buckjs are moving like crazy now in Souther Indiana i followed a rub/scapre line for 1/4 of a mile today there were 9 rubs and 11 scrapes.. but in this last week i have seen more than 10 different bucks..
Old 10-23-2005, 12:26 PM

Hey Indiana Hunters, just wanted to say hey from another huntin hoosier.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:30 PM

Hey Mike, welcome to the forum!
Old 10-23-2005, 12:44 PM

Thanks BHG, looks like you guys are seeing quite a bit of action
Old 10-24-2005, 02:01 PM

Took a nice six saturday from about 30 yards,I thought he was an eight but he didnt have any browtines, I dont have any pictures but my wife got it on the palmcorder, double lunged him. he made it about 20 yards, straight down a steepmuddy hill, whichI had to drag him back up, I always do better in putnam county, he dressed a little under 170, now I got my eye on a big doe with a gimpy leg, I watched her and a little spike walk a fence row twice saturday and twice sunday, if they keep it up I am going to set my wife up on them opening morning of shotgun season, cuz its my turn to hold the camera.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:00 PM

Congrats on the Buck Jason, can you pull any stills off that palmcorder?
Old 10-24-2005, 05:26 PM

I dont know how to even try i will read the manual for the camera and see what that says, if i cant figure that out, i cut the top of his skull off and i will get a picture of that and post it up. he is no coat rack but it was a good end to a iffy hunt. he was more than i saw last weekend in owen county.

Quick Reply: Indiana Hunters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.