Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana Hunters

Old 10-21-2005, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Indiana Hunters

"who needs brakes they just slow you down anyway"

Very true if racing Talladega or Daytona with my truck...but when the brakes fail randomly from 1mph to 30mph due to the speedometer sensor setting off the ABS system...it gets kindascary!

I'll be out today..rain....or...um...rain. No sunshine predicted today.

Old 10-21-2005, 07:40 AM

Hey Pat, did you hear about the sale going on at the Coliseum? Hunter's View tree stands for $29, blinds, $29 and discounted buddy stands too. They also have knives and all that jazz... I think we are going to swing by there tonight maybe, it goes until 9 tonight and until 8 tomorrow night. If I can get a stand for $29 I'll be elated....

I didn't see much Wednesay night, which I was very surprised about. I saw three does, right at 6, no where close to me, 120 yds away... I did make an artificial scrape about 35 yards from my stand and did a drag down the ditchline to my scrape from where I have been seeing "Bruno". He's got to be at least a heavy 8 or possibly a 10, which to me is a wall hanger. He's the one I want this year, I'm going to keep plugging at it, I need to get out there this weekend and put some more scent out.... strategically placed right down the ditchline. I am a little nervous though, I promised my daughter she could go with me this weekend if she was good, she's been an angel. She's only 6, and I am afraid she will be rather loud and won't sit still enough to get a deer anywhere close, which kinda sucks since I planted those scents/scrape in hopes of luring him closer for the weekend, but such as life... if he comes by once, he'll come by again.

I just really want my daughter to be able to see him up close and personal, she would be soooo excited. She'd definitely be a hunter for life. She's never seen a nice buck in the wild, only the one hubby has on the wall. Wish us luck!
Old 10-21-2005, 11:31 AM

BGH- Take her anyway, just go with the idea that you are enjoying the time with your baby girl. If you should see deer so much the better. Also be prepared to go home early as she will probably get tired of sitting, cold and of course hungry. I took my oldest granddaughter several years ago and all we ended up doing was pulling the Toyota into the middle of a wooded area, and sitting in the bed in a couple of lawn chairs. Then about 3 years ago we went again. This time we took a pop up blind and a couple of triangle stools. We went in about 3:30 (after school) and came out just about dark. Now she is 18 and still talks about sitting in that blind watching the spuirrels and looking for deer. She has taken and passed her hunters course with a score of over 90 which was really great for someone in the LD classes.
Anyway take her you will both benifit.

Old 10-21-2005, 11:39 AM

Yeah, I'm going to, she is soooo excited, I wish the weather would have been forecasted to be a little nicer/warmer. She doesn't have warm camo, so I will probably have to buy her some tonight. She is very excited, I told her, it might rain and she didn't care, she said, "I like rain, Mommy!" I said, but it's cold rain when you are in a stand, she said, "You know me, Mom, I never get cold" So, she's ready! I'm excited for it too, this will be her first time ever.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:16 PM

i might take my daughter squirell hunting next year when its warm and she doesnt really have to be as quiet i dont want to kill a squirell anyway, she is only 3 and she cant stay quiet for two seconds at home i can imagine her, bored and cold in a deer blind "LOOK DADDY ITS BAMBI!!!"
Old 10-21-2005, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Went out again tonight, got there around 3. At 4 i heard what i thought was a squirell on my shooting path to the side of me. I looked back and there stood a 4 point. As he walked along i heard another coming behind him, i could tell this was one was a tad bigger. He stopped at a tree and put on a show for me for about 10 minutes. He went to town on that thing. When he got done and started my way i could tell he was not what i am looking for. He looked like a 6 point with no brow tines, his rack stuck out past his ears but just barely. Too early for me to take a buck like that. Both these guys gave me perfect quartering away shots at 8 yards though. So far in 2 trips i have seen 3 bucks, and they seem to be moving earlier then normal in the evenings. Nothing big yet though, i let several walk last year that were small as well.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't heard about that sale yet..but sounds interesting!

I went out today. It was quite a bit warmer and drier up where I hunt..65 miles north of where I live. Saw deer all over the fields when I was driving up I-69 early afternoon. When I got up there to hunt there was a small 6 pointer standing in a wheat field. After I got in my stand, a really thick spike hobbled out of a crick line 50 yards to my left. Something kicked his @ss...b/c he was running around...then looking behind him. Didn't even pay attention to me grunting. He had that look to him like a dog does when they know they did something wrong...head and tail down. It looked clean though..no blood on either side.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shot a 7 pointer (8th was broke off) at 7am this morning. After my buddy rattled from across the field, I hit the grunt tube a few time. This guy comes running towards me from some thickets. He poked his head out of the tree line...which is when I saw his thick neck and head. He popped out a few seconds later..which is when I put a deadly heart shot on him.

We waited a while before looking for him. When we started..we kept kicking him up. Blood was everywhere too! So we waited...then continued. Followed the blood trail into an island of tree's...which is so thick we had to follow the blood on our hands and knee's...NO JOKE!

After blood trailing him for 2 hours...and while we are in the thick island...we literally walked right on him almost! He jumped up right in front of us...I could have touched him if I had a short stick...he was no more than 3 feet away laying in the thickest vines imaginable!

After all of this..I said screw it! Time to hit up Applebee's and get some beer. Went back out...found him 10 yards passed where we left off. I knew I had a good hit on him...but after all the tracking...I thought I was wrong. Turns out I was completely right...cut his heart nearly in half...but yet he still ran for hours?!?!

Anywho...field dressed 185lbs! Nice deer...but I've seen some with larger racks..but this one is still ok.

Old 10-22-2005, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another from the side...with the almighty Mathew's Outback.

P.S. Camera phones suck.

Old 10-23-2005, 12:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Right on Pat. Nothing wrong with that deer at all. Looks like a pretty tall rack. He is bigger then any buck i have seen so far where i hunt. What are you going to do now for shotgun season? I went tonight and got busted by a big doe as i tried to get in position for a shot. Damn thing blew at me for 15 minutes. So far i havent able to get myself out of bed to try the mornings, i think next week will be a different story though. Low temps in the 30's will have those bucks moving.

Quick Reply: Indiana Hunters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.