Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Tree stand height

Old 09-16-2005, 09:24 PM
Spike

Default Tree stand height

Hi Everyone, I am new to this board but not new to hunting. I have been hunting Illinois corn fed deer for 30+ years , never missing a season. I was just wondering what different hunters opinions are on tree stand height. I use everything from ground blinds to windfalls to raised platforms. My question is limited to flat ground with mature hardwoods (River bottoms). In these conditionsI usually sit about 10 - 12 feet above the ground but have been told I should sit higher when shotgun hunting. The stand may also be used for an occasional bow hunt. Anyone with any thoughts or experiences with stand placement in these conditionsI would appreciate your comments and opinions.

Thanks,
Troy
Old 09-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tree stand height

Well pyro, you've asked a valid question. One which has been asked on this forum more than once. And usually answered with go higher, go higher. I beleive that lots of height can really help when trying to whack extremely weary deer, not just for getting scent up, but out of sight advantage.

You sound quite a bit like me in the years you've hunted, where you've hunted and from blinds, stands 0f 10-12, windfalls, etc.

Now YOU answer the real question(s).

* In your 30 years, do you feel that in any way you have missed out on something?

* In your 30 years, do you feel you've been "busted" more than you feel you should
have?

* In your 30 years, has the freezer been left wanting?

* Have you read too many magazines? (You know the ones helping to sell every new thing? Mine's better than his? How to bag your buck! How to meet a buck! Win a date with a buck! Marry a buck!) JJ here, but I think too many people put way too much into what magazines have printed.

If it gets the job done - don't mess with it.

Heck, you could even say don't oil the wheel if it ain't squeeking!

By the way.....where do you deer hunt here in my great state?
Old 09-16-2005, 09:45 PM

Welcome Capitalpyro,
This topic has been discussed on this site many times in the past. Everyone has different opinions on how high, varying up to about 35-40 feet. I feel you should hunt as high as you need to get yourself conceled, yet low enough to where you feel comfortable. The higher you are of course the less chance deer have of senting and seeing you, but if you're not comfortable your hunting experience will not be as enjoyable. I hunt anywhere from 15-25 feet, usually more towards the 25 foot height. It's high, yet a hight I feel comfortable at. Get up a tree and see how high you feel safe at, then when you find stand locations, see at what height you will be concealed at, every stand location may need varying heights, due to under brush, type of tree your stand is in, etc. Good Luck Hunting.

Paul
Old 09-16-2005, 10:22 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

Well pyro, you've asked a valid question. One which has been asked on this forum more than once. Thanks for not chewing my butt out because I didnt go back thru the archives.

* In your 30 years, do you feel that in any way you have missed out on something? Thats kind of what I was wondering. I can remember times when I have heard movement but couldnt see. I thought I might benefit by being higher. The problem I see with sitting higher is the added effort of getting up that high (moresteps, longer rope, harder to get out of the wind to stay warm, etc...). I was wanting other opinions to try and make the desicion if it would be worth it tomove up a little.

* In your 30 years, do you feel you've been "busted" more than you feel you should
have? No - I had a great teacher and was taught to conceal yourself within the natural surroundings. Yes - I have been busted but I dont feel ithas happened more thanit should have.

* In your 30 years, has the freezer been left wanting? No - I have had deer under my stand opening dayalmost every year for quite a while. Its later in the year when muzzleloader season comes and most all leaves are off the trees, the deer have moved to a different area of my propertyand the black powderfirearm I use is quite accurate at longer ranges. I was just wondering if I was putting myself at a disadvantage by staying lower

* Have you read too many magazines? (You know the ones helping to sell every new thing? Mine's better than his? How to bag your buck! How to meet a buck! Win a date with a buck! Marry a buck!) JJ here, but I think too many people put way too much into what magazines have printed. I know exactlywhat you mean there. I dont pay a lot of attention to hunting mags that have full or double page adds. It is my opinion that the only really good hunting/outdoorsman mag is FFG.

If it gets the job done - don't mess with it. Great advise!

Heck, you could even say don't oil the wheel if it ain't squeeking!

By the way.....where do you deer hunt here in my great state? I live near Taylorville, ILabout 70 miles North of St louis in Christian Co. I hunt behind my house.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question and asking me questions to get my mind thinking. Are you a shrink? (Just kidding of coarse). Troy

Old 09-18-2005, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

It all depends on the surrounding trees/vegetation..and a nice flat/straight spot on a tree for my stand for me. Usually though, we're right at 25' with our hang-on stands...never been busted.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

We put up our homemade ladder stands to the height that they hit the tree flush. Not much science there.....we build them anywhere from 12-15 ft high and usually the legs go into the ground for added stability at least a foot. And from there we just either bolt and chain it to the tree, or we go down until we get to a part of the tree that we feel can be bolted and chained the best.
We moved two stands this year, and cleared the area/shooting lanes about a month ago. This will be my ninth year hunting out of this stand, but it is in a new location. However, being up about 13 feet or so has always been enough for me. Until last year I never used a cover scent, scent killer, or anything besides the occasionaly lure. I can tell you that our area isnt overly crowded with deer, but I will probably see around 8-12 deer a day during slug season, and have had multiple deer come either under my stand or within 10 yards of me. Granted, I have never killed a muture buck (over 3 years), I have only seen a few in the area in or out of season. I really believe that as long as you are a couple feet about the deers heads, like 8+ feet up, you dont lose a whole lot compared to anyone under about 20 or less feet up. I wont go that high probably ever because it just seems like too much added risk for me, either while in your stand or while entering it.
Sorry about the length, I get a little chatty at times