Community
Hunts/Outfitters Find your next hunt or outfitter here. Outfitters and Commercial hunts are welcome.

South African safari

Old 07-06-2006, 11:21 AM

Default South African safari

Hi everyone,

I just joined this forum a few days ago, but have been observing it for a while. I recently returned from a South African safari, and I brought along my TC Omega along with my rifle for some fun. My father brought his bow along as well.

I wanted to share my experience with this outfitter with all of you, in case you ever thought of going to Africa to hunt.

We were hunting with Matla Mamba safaris and I can't say enough about how extraordinary this outfitter is. The staff was amazing. The food could not have been any better. Every night we had a few of the animals we shot for dinner. The trackers and skinners did a phenomenal job on the capes for our trophies. We went along on this trip with our good friend and well known taxidermist. He let the skinners do the entire animals for his mounts they did such a good job.

The guides were first class and nothing bad can be said about them. My guide was Mandy Meyers, she and her husband run the outfit. She was top notch, and worked hard to get me close to all my animals.

Matla Mamba owns 24000 acres, and most of it is thick brush. Each morning we would leave on the truck to a certain area and walk from there. There was minimal if any shooting from the truck. I never shot off the truck, but my father shot a jackal from the back on the way home one night. A good pair of hiking boots is a must, as you do a lot of walking. It is not very strenuous walking, but a lot is done. I did more crawing than I thought I would do, and every animal I shot was from my knees.

The shooting is quick and fast. If you are into range finding and taking your time with shots, this wouldnt be the place to go. There was plenty of animals and all shots were under 150 yards. My longest shot was 100 yards at my kudu. I managed to take a kudu, gemsbock, and warthog with my Omega, and an impala and waterbuck with my rifle. My father shot a warthog and an eland with his bow, and a gemsbock, blue wildebeest and impala with his rifle. The trophy fees are comparable if not less than other concessions in the same area.

I can't say enough about this outfitter and would recommend them to anyone. If anyone would like further information, go to matlamamba.co.za, or feel free to contact me for pictures or with any questions.